Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use old HD for external drive.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DannyBoy1963

DannyBoy1963

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:41 PM

Hello, this is my first time posting here,

I recently took out the hard drive of my old laptop.. It was win 7 but I upgraded to win 10.. The monitor got cracked so I decided to scrap it..

I would like to use the old HD for a second drive on my desktop, or storage drive..

I am not sure the procedure.. 

I purchased a case, and plugged it into the desktop, retrieved all my files, now I want to do what? Reformat? I would like to wipe it clean and start fresh.. 

When I have it plugged in, I see 4 additional drives in my This PC section, 

My Desktop is C, D is my DVD drive. My C drive has the recovery in it, not an extra partition for that..

Now the 4 new drives I see are, 

SYSTEM (E), Local Disk (F), RECOVERY (G) HP_TOOLS (H),

What do I do to wipe it clean or reformat to match my desktop or use as a storage drive?

I don't care really what it is, I just hate to throw it out, it has 215 gig of extra space I could be using!! 

Thanks for any help, and by the way, I am not so tech savy so if you can give me a step by step, that would be awesome!!

Again Thanks for any help.

Danny!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:33 AM

Download Speccy http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=speccy

And Post the Results in your next post to assist others to help you if needed.

Im assuming your running Win 7 on the Desktop , go to  Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools / Computer Management \ Disc Management

Then Plug in the Externa Drive , when it appears ensure you select it as the correct drive and select Format or delete all Partitions { R/Click }.

Only do this if any of the Data is not required any more !!!!!!!!

Then simply format it as NTFS and creat one partition to use as an external Storage drive .

If this is what you want ? Otherwise wait until you post Speccy and comment further.

#3 vilhavekktesla

vilhavekktesla

• Members
  • 918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:57 AM

Be careful when you add an extra disk to your system just to get more space

Hard disks are delicate stuff, so when you add one mor to get more space, you should add even on more after this to backup this extra space, now and forever.

A hardisk aging 3 years or more should be considered "old" and may have faults to it, If you archive soething on one drive and nowhere else, you should

think of it like any day you could loose all the content on it.

so reuse of older disk just because it is cheaper than buying a new could be a costly experience if you now loose data from two disk.

Basically what I'm saying is this, yes you can make an external disk from an internal disk, although those are not designed to be treated as external disks, you should only us the second disk as an extra copy, not to extend the space, that way you have "free" backup drive.

Now, I'm not sure how you made this external disk. Did you buy a USB to SATA box or somthing, or did you basically just plug in the extra disk inside your

cabinet on a free SATA-connection?

Also I cannot see why you want to format the disk, instead of deleting data, if you want to format the disk to make it "impossible" to retrieve old data, that is not the best way.

If you simply need more space and need to remove data it is much safer to review the disk and erase folder by folders and files by files, so you see what you erase.

There are lots of good tools out there letting you see disk contents, unerase contents, show partitions etc.

Just be careful when you use such programs if you are not familiar with them, so you do not remove data you want to keep.

And as stated above run speccy to let you have an idea what parts you have on your computer, and try to explain what you want to do, why you want to do this,

and what outcome you expect. Removing all data on a disk takes only a few seconds, but retrieving lost data could take a long long time, so be careful what you do.

For the record, I received a 4 TB external desktop office disk a year ago, I backed up all I had, I did not erase the source, but I did reorganise the data on the external disk.

I brought this 4TB to another place to backup that computer too, and the disk was ticking (broken)

I lost all data on the 4TB ( I got a new from the retailer but who care, I lost the data... or actually I lost many hours time spent making the backups, since after all I used the drive for backup, not to extend the space) This was a 14 day old 4TB that time, so I learned the lesson, never transport a disk like this from A - B unless you have a second backup. Now I use smaller travelstore disk or SSD-disk instead, but most important, I stor things on multipple places, even before considering erasing data on my computer.

So think twice no matter what you decide to do :)

Speccy is from piriform and they also have these sometimes invaluable porgrams, one to erase all kind of stuff anonther to recover

data you have wrongli erased: ccleaner recuva and speccy

You ow yourself a chance to experiment with the programs, and now that you have 250 GB disk you wanat to do stuff with thats a good place to experiment, you might get stunned what you find on that disk with recuva (recovery sw), and since you apparently do not need the data from the drive

ccleaner could help you. Just be careful you do not erase the wrong disks :)

Regards

Edited by vilhavekktesla, 23 April 2016 - 03:03 AM.

The signature points to post one in each topic. Post one is very important to read.

Now Teslacrypt may be decrypted with Blooddolly's Tesladecoder version 1.0.1b or newer (if needed)

The master key is released so there is no need to pay to get the key.

About 200 550 different ransomwares exist so think safe backups at all time.

#4 DannyBoy1963

DannyBoy1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for your responses, I am sorry if I was not as specific as I should have been.. As I said I am not so techy off the cuff, however I am quite capable of taking direction and do know my way around the computer and can follow instructions quite well.. 

With that said, My desktop is a new computer built with win 10.. It is a Dell Inspirion 3847 I can run the Speccy but which one? The file has two applications, Speccy and Speccy64, I asume the 64? Since my win 10 Desktop is 64 bit.. But Assuming is not enough lol..

The old HD was win 7 but recently upgraded when win 10 launched.. 

I don't need anything on this old drive.. The files and folders are all not important.. I already saved the files off this old HD..

My Goal is to have a second drive, yes external I have purchased a USB to SATA box.. 

As I mentioned there are 4 partitions on the Old drive, and I am not sure the procedure to reformat this to wipe the win 7 recovery drive since I wont ever go back to win 7.. Again I don,t need anything on this drive, I just want to utilize the space..

Of course I understand the risk of loosing vital files, I always have complete back up's of all my files. I have USB sticks with all my important files.. So that is certainly not an issue,,

If you need the Speccy which version should I use? 

Thanks again.

#5 vilhavekktesla

vilhavekktesla

• Members
  • 918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

Hi, you may try to follow the first post

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools / Computer Management \ Disc Management

Then Plug in the Externa Drive , when it appears ensure you select it as the correct drive and select Format or delete all Partitions { R/Click }.

Only do this if any of the Data is not required any more !!!!!!!!

For Windows 10 I think you can just write disk management after pressing WIN+Q as a shortcut, then you select the correct drive

If you have two drives, no matter how many partitions the main drive wher Windows 10 is is called disk0 then your external drive which should be around 220 GB / 200 GB in size should be disk 1 (the second disk)

Now you can do anything with this disk, and removing all partitions is a start, then after this you make a new partition using all the 220 GB space or you may part it in two.

Next you format the partition with any relevant file system. NTFS if you intend to use it with Windows and or FAT32 if you want to use the disk with other operating systems.

If you want a cleand system, then almost nothing can go wrong as long as you choose the correct disk.

In fact I'm not sure what happens if you select the wrong disk as Windows 10 will probably not allow you to do this.

Reagrds

The signature points to post one in each topic. Post one is very important to read.

Now Teslacrypt may be decrypted with Blooddolly's Tesladecoder version 1.0.1b or newer (if needed)

The master key is released so there is no need to pay to get the key.

About 200 550 different ransomwares exist so think safe backups at all time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users