Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Keeper

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 royspc

royspc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:35 PM

Have always discouraged my clients from using PC Keeper or Mac Keeper.

Client came to me saying they had lost folders of pictures and some very expensive programs.

I saw that their hard drive was maxed out.

Ran Space Sniffer and found a PCKeeper folder 214 GB in size.

It had installed itself in the user data folder.  

There was only about 70 GB free space on the drive so it made room for itself by uninstalling who knows what in addition to an Adobe Graphics Suite and many photos.

Maybe somebody knows more about this.   

I of course deleted the PC Keeper folder.

Will check the registry later.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

PCKeeper is advertised as an optimization services package featuring a set of software utilities for Windows OS owned by Essentware S.A. (company based in Bratislava, Slovakia)...It includes 2 separate products for Windows: PCKeeper Live and PCKeeper Antivirus.

Two class action lawsuits have been filed against Kromtech for the Mac OS version of PCKeeper, MacKeeper. The first lawsuit, filed in Illinois, alleges that "Contrary to ZeoBIT's marketing and in-software representations, however, neither the free trial nor the full registered versions of MacKeeper perform any credible diagnostic testing of a user's Mac. Instead, ZeoBIT intentionally designed MacKeeper to invariably and ominously report that the consumer's Mac needs repair and is at-risk due to harmful errors, privacy threats, and other problems, regardless of the computer's actual condition.

About PCKeeper

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

This applies to any registry cleaning/optimizing software suite which includes anti-virus/anti-malware protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 royspc

royspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

Still doesn't explain why it occupied 214 GB of space in the application data folder.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:42 PM

I never used the program but since it also includes a junk/temp file remover I suspect that folder probably contained everything it found and removed since it was installed and used. The user probably never permanently deleted all the garbage. However, that would only explain some of the utilized space not the full 214 GB. Being that the program itself is junkware, we probably will not hear from any members with first hand experience.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users