Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avast

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jawara

jawara

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

OK this is my 1st post. thanks Christ for pushing me up. how do I down load avast to my desk top. I've tried a few times without success. It's alright if u laugh but then offer aid. also I don't know what kind of security I have on this computer. All I'm saying is HELP...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

Go to https://www.avast.com/en-us/download-thank-you.php?product=FAV-ONLINE&locale=en-us and the download should start automatically. Once the file is downloaded, double click on it to start the installer. You may have to provide your admin password, depending on the version of windows you have. Once the installer is started follow it's simple steps to install Avast.
Warning: like most free software, Avast antivirus is typically bundled with other free software like Google Chrome and Dropbox. If you do not to install the bundled software, chose the 'advanced' or 'custom' install option and uncheck any checkbox that says 'also install...' or anything along that line. If you want more detailed instructions, please ask :)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:17 PM

The avast! Free download link redirects to an online installer from CNET, not avast! servers.

avast! download/installation links are available from...Avast 2016: Installing Avast Free Antivirus
Avast 2016: Registering Avast Free Antivirus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

also I don't know what kind of security I have on this computer.

If you plan to replace your antivirus with Avast! there is a certain way you should go about it.  See... Replacing your Anti-virus.  A simple way of finding out which antivirus you currently have, is to look in Add or Remove Programs / Programs and Features.  If you tell us which version of Windows you have, we will tell you where to look.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

Or here's a way that will work regardless of windows version:

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkbox:
  • List Installed Programs
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

#6 jawara

jawara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:29 PM

1st. thank each & all of u for the help. I think I'm going to Like this forum. I was successful in downloading Avast. In fact I was too successful. After several attempts, I was giving up only to learn that I had downloaded it 4 times!!!.... Well I did manage to get the other 3 off (I hope). I've been slow to update u'all because 1) my spouse had major back surgery last wk. 2) my mother- in- law, who lives with us needs daily assistance. 3) My brother-in-law, also living with us has alzhimer & doesn't know up from down. I'm now something between a nurse, cook, watchman. the strangest thing is that I'm still moderately sane So I'll get back to when I can. there is so much more I need to learn. Again I do appreciate the help.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

Take your time.  With all those responsibilities, it's no wonder you don't have much time.  We'll be here when you need us.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

Real world circumstances always come first so take care of your family and post back whenever it is convenient for you.

#9 jawara

jawara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

hi everyone;

I have a little free time. my spouse is in slow but steady recovery. all is well. Some one asked what's my operating system. It's Windows 7. I'm now facing an coming decision. I have refused to upgrade to Windows 10. Why? Because I'm scared, & a few people have advised me to delay, delay, delay. Now I heard on the evening news that after this July the upgrade will no longer be free. what shoud I do? I hope I'm in the right forum. If not please educate me.   thanks

Adamu Jawara

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

Hello jawara and welcome back.  This is not the right forum to discuss this issue.  Please post in the Windows 10 Support Forum.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

...I have refused to upgrade to Windows 10...

You are not alone. I and many other members here have no intention of upgrading from Windows 7.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

Gibson Research Center makes a Never10 utility that will help you keep Windows 10 away, if you choose not to upgrade.  I'm not upgrading my three computers from W7 to W10 either.  I was going to mention SaferNetworking's SpyBot AntiBeacon -- but never mind -- it is too geeky to meddle with at this time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

I personally have upgraded to win10 and find the privacy concerns overhyped. Make sure your hardware is compatible with Windows 10 by looking it up on your manufacturer's support site, and if it is compatible you should be able to upgrade without issue.

#14 jawara

jawara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

thanks so much to all. I'm not inclined to get windows 10. I am however concerned about if I will continue to get upgrades thru windows 7 after the April dead line.

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

Windows 7's end of life is on 2020. It is still good for another five years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users