Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost internet access after running adwcleaner (Windows 7)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kirye

Kirye

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

Hey all, first post and everything. 

My little brother, brilliant boy that he is, installed some program that was supposedly a better Steam with better sales. Of course this program was littered with viruses. I proceeded to run Avast, which froze up and could not enable the firewall anymore. Then went into the Control Panel and uninstalled Wajak which was popping inappropriate ads all over everything and Steam. I saw that a program called One System Care was there as well, but I couldn't remove it off of the Control Panel.

Afterwards I ran adwcleaner and it removed One System Care and Lavasoft Web Companion. Unfortunately after that finished the computer lost access to the internet. It shows that it's connected to the Network, but neither ethernet and Wireless are working. I've tried:

- Checking the Internet Options to see if a Proxy was enabled.

- Checking if the DNS was messed with in the Network options.

- Ran Rkill.exe

- Ran MiniToolBox.exe

- Ran JRT.exe

- Flushed the ipconfig, ipv4, ipv6 in cmd.

- Reinstalling the Ethernet and Wireless drivers.

- Restarting the computer afterwards.

And none of that has helped. He is still unable to access the internet after all that. I'm out of ideas, hope you guys can help. Not sure what other information I can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

Have you tried resetting Winsock and TCP/IP. Sometimes Winsock gets corrupted after removing adware.

Type CMD in the search box Right Click > Run As Administrator.  Type the following then reboot.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

#3 Kirye

Kirye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

Have you tried resetting Winsock and TCP/IP. Sometimes Winsock gets corrupted after removing adware.

Type CMD in the search box Right Click > Run As Administrator.  Type the following then reboot.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Oh my god this worked, thank you so much! Now it won't let me install regular Steam again, but i'll figure that out later.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

Glad that worked for you. I am not familiar with steam but this video shows how to completely uninstall steam. Maybe after doing a complete uninstall Steam will install. You may get a better response in the Steam Forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users