Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to lock screen in Ubuntu 16.04

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

Not sure whats going on, I never ran into this issue before. I can normally lock the screen and it asks for a password. Now it just darkens the screen. I haven't touched any other settings.

Here is a short recording of the issue if it helps any.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1lg_bJtBoPWTVdTRURRQXRaemc/view?usp=sharing

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

Hi Fairy, is this in one of the the pre-releases (alpha-beta), or in the newly-released?

:wizardball: Wizard

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

This is the newest release from the 21st.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

If it helps, I guess it was weird from the start. Whenever I first installed ubuntu, it didn't have a sudo password. Anything that required a password would not accept mine. To fix it, I had to do a simple passwd command, then it allowed the sudo password to work.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

I have both a MATE and a Unity on this unit from March, I'll try a couple of things with them and be back soon :thumbup2:

:wizardball:

#6 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:44 PM

This from the Unity install (obviously, lol)

Works OK for me, but prior to installing Kazam, I followed in your footsteps and I am sure that the first time I did it, the screen went to black, and then to the login screen.

Out of ideas for now, and have commitments for a few hours (wife Elaine's 60th birthday), but will swap my baseball cap for my wizard's thinking cap a little later, and see if I come up with anything, unless you or someone else do/does.

Later

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW - have you checked the hash algorithm (shasum) for the downloaded .iso to check all OK?

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 22 April 2016 - 06:45 PM.

#8 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

The iso is fine, however I'm re-downloading it again and am just going to re-install. I restarted unity and the lock screen worked, but..it only worked when i restarted it as root. And yet again for some weird reason, my root password just did not work. After looking at the error report it had something to do the with compiz core and unity. Seems like a huge hassle from a right off the bat installation to go through hoops to get to work :P. Thank you very much for your assistance anyways :D.

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

You're welcome. Hope the new install goes OK.

I am subscribed now since posting, so if anything new comes up, let us know and I'll take a look with you.

Avagudweegend

:wizardball: Wiz

#10 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

Just re-installed and everything works like a charm. Must have just been something wonky with the first iso.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,927 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

Cool, Thanks for letting us know. If you need any other help with your new install please start a new post.

Did you enable your firewall?>

If no open terminal and type this.

sudo ufw enable

This will start your firewall now and create a script that will start it automatically every time you boot up.

Regards

Nick.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users