Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird problem related to input via keyboard/mouse/touch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zakusho

Zakusho

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:33 PM

Goes without saying that I'm on Windows 10 (64bit) latest build with literally everything updated except for my graphics card (using a hotfix nvidia driver as the problem lies on their end).

Now the problem I have goes as follows. At random times possibly due to some specific key strokes my windows feels like I'm pressing some button repeatedly (as in spammed not held down) and this causes issues such as being unable to capitalize the letter c via RIGHT SHIFT. This goes on with other key combos such as trying to hold down both S and D (popular in video games where you strafe while moving backwards) which ends up with no response. Neither of the letters are sent through however here's the real odd thing. For the both previously shown examples (Right Shift + C and S + D) there is a case where they do work. If I press Right Shift and then C without holding down either but in a very quick transition it will work properly as in capitalize c and the same goes for S and D however that is not as useful. One thing I'd like to note is that via SharpKeys a tool I downloaded purely to test what is being pressed without my personal input claims that my F4 key is being used along with 2 unknown keys. These 2 unknown keys can not be blocked via sharpkeys as it can not recognize the device that sends those inputs properly outside of their respective ID which I assume is a format used by sharpkeys. When this issue first occurred I initially assumed that it was related to my touchpad driver however after completely removing it, reinstalling it, using the default windows driver and so on nothing really changed. Because of this unknown button press my searchbar or URL and this goes on for anything that happens to work as a drop-down menu will seem to be "coming up" just like when you click on it to see what you've previously typed or to select a different entry (say via Run Command) however that disappears fast and comes up again and goes on like that until I press my Shift button. Since this issue is random it could happen again in less than 5 seconds after the shift press so I do believe this to be a driver issue somewhere that I have not been able to reach by myself. One last thing that I could add to this is that my button presses seem to be a bit unresponsive as in I'm normally a fast-typing person and that I am very accurate with my button presses however since this issue came by some of my key presses do not go through but just so you have a better view on this here's an example: I was typing to someone and some of the letters simply didn't come off such as "suc" instead of "such" and the list goes on. Before you bombard me with claims that my PC might be infected and so on please do bare in mind that I am a proper (another example while typing proper only propr came out) Power User and know what I'm doing and as such have checked for possible infections at the very moment I had this issue. That means hijackthis/tdss killer/rkill/malwarebytes etc along with event viewer checks and memory pool logs you name it. If you still believe that this might be some form of infection then please provide a reason as to why you think that to be the case. I don't want generic answers of do logs of this and that as I know how to look through logs myself and have already done that rest assured. I'm around 80% sure this has to be some form of a driver issue. The other 20% goes to a possible registry corruption however for that to be truly the case it would need those button presses to be legit keyboard/mouse buttons and not unknown ones.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

I suppose this is laptop/notebook device you are using.

Keyboard might act like this if its faulty or there was some liquid spit therefore this might be caused by Keyboard cable as well.

Also I will amend to stop the mouse pad and try with normal mouse there a lot experienced writers hitting the mouse pad and causing chaos.

if you have the chance to test if this occur when your laptop keyboard is turned off and you are using external usb keyboard.

Also could you please post the model of the computer and the keyboard are you using.

Many thanks,
Andy

#3 Zakusho

Zakusho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:18 AM

I'm on a Lenovo laptop with the model Y50-70 i5-4200h coupled with 860m 4GB vram version. I have my own gaming mouse but please do note I did try removing it completely (unplug/remove it's driver and any traces left etc) with no change. What I should've mentioned as well is that this issue persists during safe mode as well but again happens randomly. I configured my elan touchpad so that any of the advanced settings are set to do nothing as I thought again that at first it was related solely to it (it is also disabled from use as I'm using a mouse). Sadly I do not have an external keyboard to try out. I also do not know the model of the keyboard as it's being listed as a standard one via device manager. What I do know however is that before the issue came by it seemed like it was a 4 key rollover. This morning as I was checking my emails I noticed the issue went away for a few moments and I could use Right shift with C along with S and D only to be plagued by it seconds later. I also did not spill nor spit on the entirety of the laptop. I did think that maybe because I'm wearing gloves (my hands get cold) some of the material might've been stuck under the keys however upon inspection there was no need to use compressed air as the buildup was mild. I did not notice any scratches on the bezel surface as well and that's all I have to say right now.

#4 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

I completely trust you and I`m sure you are taking good care of your computer indeed.

However I think the laptop keyboard stop working properly for no reason, this occur rarely but happens.

If you have warranty I strongly advise to send your computer to the vendor for keyboard or cable replacement.

This is not USB or driver conflict for sure the keyboard causing all of the problems, compressor will not help you at all.

There are way to literally wash the keyboard but for this you need to dismantle the computer.

If the computer is out of warranty you can purchase keyboard from here.

Unfortunately again you will need someone to help you with the replacement.

I`m sorry to say that but to be honest there is not much you can work around with drivers of faulty keyboard :) 

#5 Zakusho

Zakusho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:50 AM

Alright cheers for the help. Sadly the laptop is indeed out of warranty but that shouldn't really be a problem as I've dealt with hardware installation before and keyboards are far from difficult. I'll see if replacing it does the trick.

I see that from the link it should be compatible with my model tho it does look a bit different in places (mine came with the UK variant tho that doesn't really matter). The only thing that looks off is the fact that the Shift button is way bigger than mine. Just by my eye I can tell that my shift along with \ or | button makes up for the space of the shift as seen in the image.

#6 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

I send you this link as an example, if you like remove the keyboard and check the part number on the sticker.

This way you will be more than accurate :) 

Also if you are located in UK you better check for the keyboard in ebay.co.uk 

If you never open this computer before I`ll strongly recommend to check how to dismantle this model in youtube.

Cheers,
Andy 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users