Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kim Dotcom hints at Mega shutdown as he warns punters to pull out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

If you have any data on Mega cloud storage back it up now. 

BERET-WEARING copyright controversy courter Kim Dotcom has told his Twitter users to start backing up any data and documents they might have on storage option Mega, because it looks like it is going from mega to micro following a range of problems.

Dotcom said that the firm has suffered from the withdrawal of support by PayPal, presumably at the behest of the law or the copyright cartels. This had a significant impact on the business that was showing positive signs of growth in the storage market.

Dotcom resigned from a management role at the firm last year, but it is clear that he still cares. He is presumably still very angry about his treatment at the hands of the authorities when they raided and closed down Mega predecessor Megaupload with a very heavy hand.

"Mega has had to survive without a credit card payment processor for almost two years now. The air is getting thin. Back up your Mega files asap," he tweeted.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:05 AM

When he had megaupload I had a premium account with a 1 year subscription and lost 7 months worth of subscription, the files I had there were legal mostly software I coded in Vb.Net.

When he opened mega a lot of people saw it like the second coming.

My opinion then was as it is now, I want nothing to do with what this guy is selling and would never upload files to mega, and I was right.

#3 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

Not sure if MEGA is indeed closing, it looks like there's more going on there?

We have to wait and see...  :wink:

NickAu: And how is that the fault of Kim Dotcom?

Greets!

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

Yes sorry my bad, Its the FBI's fault for taking mega down Kim had nothing to do with allowing pirated content to be hosted on his site.

#5 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:07 AM

It seems like Kim Dotcom is sure MEGA is going down...  :scratchhead:

Example Click and Click.

NickAu: I understand that being an Australian gives you another view on the subject but...

Are DropBox, GoogleDrive or OneDrive any different? Oh yes, I forgot they're US based (and infiltrated)!

Nice tweet about it! Oh well, let us agree to disagree on this!  :wink:

Greets!

#6 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

I use Mega, and would be upset to see it go. :(

According to Mega however, the reason for [Paypal] ending the business relationship was pressure by Visa and MasterCard which in turn were pressured by US Senator Leahy to "cease providing payment services" to companies listed in a report as not providing "legitimate cloud storage" services.

-REF:http://www.ghacks.net/2015/02/27/paypal-ends-business-relationship-with-mega/

#7 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

I use Mega, and would be upset to see it go. :(

50 GB free and a working sync client for Windows/Linux/Mac, you don't find that every day!

According to Mega however, the reason for [Paypal] ending the business relationship was pressure by Visa and MasterCard which in turn were pressured by US Senator Leahy to "cease providing payment services" to companies listed in a report as not providing "legitimate cloud storage" services.

According to the company, the post is published by a user called Admin, PayPal ceased processing Mega payments citing "unknowability of what is on the platform" as the reason for doing so.

Say again?  :huh:

Greets!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users