Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if I should upgrade or start fresh

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Terk1023

Terk1023

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:30 AM

Hi, I built my rig I believe 3 or so years ago with the help of a friend who knew more about this stuff than I do. I have been trying to figure out for the past couple days, which parts I can or need to upgrade and am stumped as to whether I should upgrade or if I should just wait a bit and build a new gaming rig all together.

these are my specs as of right now: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6TgJQfumZ0qIsgYp5fojjxT

any kind of guidance or tips to help me even start understanding the parts and what all of the number classifications mean would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

What I would upgrade:

- Used (and cheap) i5/i7 CPU for LGA1155

- SSD drive

- Better video card

As for video cards, 14/16nm cards are coming soon so better to wait for them. CPU would be first priority as LGA1155 CPU's are rarely found new.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

First question I would ask...revolves around what games you are playing...versus what games you plan to play in the future.  Unless you are just in the mood to spend money :).

Louis

#4 Terk1023

Terk1023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Drill!!

And to Lousie, back when I got it I was playing Skyrim and BF3 and ARMA2. I am mostly playing CS:GO right now but wanted to get the division and squad. I also dabble in video editing and do a lot of photo editing and processing.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

Video / photo editing eh? You might benefit from faster RAM then... I also agree with DrillingMachine's suggestion for a better but used CPU, as AMD has a new CPU coming that might, at the very least drop the prices of new Intel CPUs. SSD would be nice, but that depends on your budget. Newer games will need a better graphics card, but you might be able to save cash by dropping graphic quality settings a few ticks. Do you have a hard budget on this, or even a range? Or are you just looking for general suggestions?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 Terk1023

Terk1023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Thanks ScathEnfys! Hahaha ya not too much video, but a lot of photo editing yes, when I can I wanna get another 8gb of RAM! I have a budget of $600.00 max, I have been looking at CPUs for the past couple hours but since my knowledge about the parts and classifications/specs is very limited I am having trouble finding an upgrade that I can purchase with confidence of it actually being A.) an upgrade and B.)compatible. I feel like my motherboards socket is not common and restricting which is why I was wondering if I should start fresh.

Edited by Terk1023, 23 April 2016 - 01:36 AM.

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:03 PM

LGA1155 is fairly common and Intel changes sockets every generation anyway... AMD is the only manufacturer that hasn't really changed sockets and even their diehard fans agree they are far behind Intel these days. Socket only matters for CPU compatibility anyway.

#8 Terk1023

Terk1023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:00 AM

Oh okay! I'll start looking more into a new CPU and possible SSD/RAM if i can!! thanks!!

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

Be careful just adding RAM willy-nilley. It's recommended by most PC building experts to use the same brand, capacity, and speed if at all possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users