Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what should I upgrade

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 momomani

momomani

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:19 AM

hi I own a Acer predator G3-605 with 

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4770 Processor, 12GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, Windows 8.1 

thats all the specs i could find online right now sense im on a long vacation right now. I would like to upgrade it so it has the good standards when it comes to gaming, recording and editing. so what should i start with ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

It should be fine right now, really.  If you really want to add something to it, a GTX 970 GPU would be a worthwhile upgrade over a GTX 760.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

Add SSD and video card. New technology graphic cards are coming soon so better to wait them.

#4 momomani

momomani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

It should be fine right now, really.  If you really want to add something to it, a GTX 970 GPU would be a worthwhile upgrade over a GTX 760.

witch one is better evga gtx 970 or nvidia gtx 970 or are the same ?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:34 AM

Nvidia and AMD don't make their own cards with the exception of their workstation cards.  For their consumer cards, those companies make a reference design and hand it off to other manufacturers to build, such as Gigabyte, EVGA, and Asus among others.  What the manufacturers do to differentiate themselves from each other is bundles, warranty, cooling technology, and overclocking from the factory.  The EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+ is one of the higher-end GTX 970 cards you can get.

3939.png

#6 momomani

momomani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

is there a big performance difference between gtx 970 and the gtx 980 sense I was recommended the 970 version ?

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:44 PM

is there a big performance difference between gtx 970 and the gtx 980 sense I was recommended the 970 version ?

As I said before, new generation cards are coming so unless you really need card right now, waiting for better ones is very good choice. According to news, Nvidia already stopped producing GTX970 and GTX980, so even Nvidia thinks both are going to be replaced soon.

For your question, reason above tells that GTX980 is too expensive compared to GTX970 to justify performance difference.

Another option is Radeon R9 390 that has over double memory (8GB) and is much more future proof.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 25 April 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#8 momomani

momomani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:38 PM

As I said before, new generation cards are coming so unless you really need card right now, waiting for better ones is very good choice. According to news, Nvidia already stopped producing GTX970 and GTX980, so even Nvidia thinks both are going to be replaced soon.

For your question, reason above tells that GTX980 is too expensive compared to GTX970 to justify performance difference.

Another option is Radeon R9 390 that has over double memory (8GB) and is much more future proof.

yes sound good but lets say I buy the 980 one that will last me sometime before I need to upgrade right ?

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

yes sound good but lets say I buy the 980 one that will last me sometime before I need to upgrade right ?

Depends on what you mean saying "some time before need to upgrade". Considering that new 14/16nm process gives about 2x power/performance ratio compared to todays 28nm process, AMD or Nvidia have no problem to make card that makes current high end GTX980 lower mid end card very soon. They probably won't make it soon but still. Also considering facts that GTX980 was made for DirectX 11 (and so quite poor support for DirectX 12), it's not good enough for 4K gaming and not good enough for VR use, it's price is very high and offers very little for money. In case you want better (not very much but still) future proof card, consider Radeon R9 390.

2 years ago I bought R9 280 for 20% less than R9 380 cost today (both have about equal performance). So in two years prices have gone up 20%. So it's safe to say that currently every video card over 100$ price offer very poor price/performance ratio. And so waiting is only wise option. But if you want new card now, then that "wise" solution is not option. Your choice.

#10 momomani

momomani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

Depends on what you mean saying "some time before need to upgrade". Considering that new 14/16nm process gives about 2x power/performance ratio compared to todays 28nm process, AMD or Nvidia have no problem to make card that makes current high end GTX980 lower mid end card very soon. They probably won't make it soon but still. Also considering facts that GTX980 was made for DirectX 11 (and so quite poor support for DirectX 12), it's not good enough for 4K gaming and not good enough for VR use, it's price is very high and offers very little for money. In case you want better (not very much but still) future proof card, consider Radeon R9 390.

2 years ago I bought R9 280 for 20% less than R9 380 cost today (both have about equal performance). So in two years prices have gone up 20%. So it's safe to say that currently every video card over 100$ price offer very poor price/performance ratio. And so waiting is only wise option. But if you want new card now, then that "wise" solution is not option. Your choice.

considering I have the gtx 760 upgrading seems like good choice

Now the 100$ question is which one is better the low price one gtx970 or the more pricer one gtx 980 or the r9 390 

do you have any benchmarks between the 980 and r9 ? 

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

There are lots of benchmarks, some favour AMD, some Nvidia.. You can compare lots of cards here - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1594?vs=1442 (change the comparison with the dropdown).

One reason I mentioned the GTX970 is that it should drop in without any power supply upgrade, assuming the specs I looked at were right in stating that your PC has a 500w PSU.   The GTX980 should be OK too, it only has modestly more power consumption than the GTX970 or GTX760.  The R9-390 and 390X guzzle more power and I'd personally not risk them on an OEM 500w PSU.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

Even when the new Polaris and Pascal-based cards are out, the GTX 970 and 980 are still going to be quite good.  Are you going to be doing 4K or VR with these graphics cards?

3939.png

#13 momomani

momomani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

Even when the new Polaris and Pascal-based cards are out, the GTX 970 and 980 are still going to be quite good.  Are you going to be doing 4K or VR with these graphics cards?

im not going to use vr at least not now or near future but I might try 4k for that i thing i need to upgrade few more thing like my monitor witch is AOC G2460PQU 144hz monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users