Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel numbering starts over again at 100

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:32 AM

I just got a new computer and bought Excel 2016. I'm very happy with both but am frustrated because I sell books on Amazon and have to list them. When using Excel 2007, once the listings went over 100, they would continue to number 101, 102, etc.

However, with Excel 2016, once I go past my 100th row, the rows start numbering at 1,2, 3, etc. again and it's driving me crazy. If I have over 400 different items, I'll have 4 different sets of 100 items and they won't be numbered sequentially. This makes no sense at all as a default.

In any case, I am sure there's a simple way to get consecutive numbering to exceed the 100th row but I can't figure it out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

Try this on a blank sheet first. Type 1 to 4 in consecutive rows. Highlight the cells from 1 to 4. In the bottom right corner is an anchor. Left click and drag down until you get to 400 or more. 

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Automatically-number-rows-in-Excel-2016-for-Windows-598f6fb5-a5dc-4474-af7a-6cce5559ad92

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

The problem isn't creating consecutive numbers above 100 in the Columns but in the default numbering to the left of Column A. What you suggest allows me to number consecutively within a column but not the default numbering that Excel creates for each row. There, the number of the row creates consecutive numbers up to 100 but then, some idiot programmer had decided to start over again at 1, meaning that row 101, row 201, etc. are listed as 1. Now if I go to the name box on the top left, the correct row number is indicated but the actual row number to the left of the columns is not and it defaults back to the number 1 after each 100 rows are numbered. 

Now I am sure there is a simple way to solve this but I've tried everything. I've googled this but nothing comes up and I can't find anything on the ribbon that allows me to change the default numbering of rows.

Interestingly, Excel crashed and restarted. When it did, it had created numbered rows with the actual number of the row when the row number was higher than 100. You would think this would be the default but it's not. Secondly, when I had saved and closed Excel and restarted it later, the row numbers above 100 were gone again.

However, I had just discovered something I didn't see before that impacts upon this: when I reduce the size of the screen to half size, the numbers over 100 appear. It seems that for some reason my screen, (which is very large) doesn't show the first digit in the numbering queue in front of Column A. It appears that it is cut off by the screen so this is probably less to do with Excel than how Excel appears on my screen. This didn't happen, however, with the same screen with Excel 2007.

This, then, could be solved if I could move the left border of Column A a fraction to the right, yet as with other columns where this is easily done, I can't seem to move the left border of Column A to the right a fraction so that there is room to show the first digit in a 3-digit number. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

Can you resize/move the screen with your monitor controls after returning to full size?

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

Interesting! I reset the monitor to auto adjust and now the 3 digits appear. I didn't think of this because prior to this, all data appeared centered on the screen and nothing was being left out on the left. I'm curious what caused this.

Here's The good news! I saved the changes and restarted Excel and the 3 digits now continue to appear. I'm wondering what had caused the left side cut off in the first place. Other than in Excel 2016, I have never seen that before and everything had fit on all pages as appropriate.

In any case, your clue led to the solution. Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update.

#7 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

Thank you for the hint that it could be a screen adjustment not an Excel issue that led me to the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users