Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates"

• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#466 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

...Just tried to install the relevant items from the link in JohnC_21's post #457 only to find that these had already been installed. The notifications in each case rather confusingly said "Does not apply to your system.".

Hi six-h:

I had previously mentioned the same Microsoft Security Advisory 4025685: Guidance for Older Platforms: June 13, 2017 in post # 442.  Your 16-Jun-2017 reply in post # 444 suggests that you already installed those five out-of-band updates last month, and you'll get a "The update is not applicable to your computer" error if you try to install them again.  If you have any questions about these June 2017 updates I've posted additional instructions in the MS Answers thread More Shadow Brokers Exploits Patched June 2017 for Win XP and Vista.

Not confident regarding the practice of updating with Windows 2008 patches, are you following this route?

No, I am not installing Windows Server 2008 security updates to try to keep my Windows Vista SP2 computer patched, and I've already stated my reasons in post # 438.  I'm not concerned about lack of compatibility between the two operating systems as much as I am that Vista SP2 users might incorrectly assume that this workaround will keep their OS fully patched against every new vulnerability discovered in Vista SP2.  It's your choice, as long as you understand both the pros and cons of installing Windows Server 2008 security updates on a Vista SP2 machine.

ASIDE:

Just a reminder to everyone that 11-Jul-2017 was the July 2017 Patch Tuesday.  If your Vista SP2 OS was fully patched as of the end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017 and you have MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 your Windows Update might continue to hang at "Checking for updates..." unless you install the latest Office-related speed up patches listed in Volume Z's post on page 1 of peggybegg's thread why has vista stopped automatic updates?.  I pre-installed this month's new speed up patch for my MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 (KB3191897) and "Checking for updates..." finished in less than 5 minutes when I ran Windows Update today.

If you're still experiencing "Checking for updates..." hangs and aren't sure if Windows Update has delivered all available updates as of 11-Apr-2017 see the instructions on page 1 of m#1's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours for a possible solution.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.10.0.83 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3

Edited by lmacri, 12 July 2017 - 05:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#467 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

Thanks Imacri, I should have reviewed the older posts!

#468 Occasional

Occasional

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

@imarci

Checking the "why has ..." link, I see

"

We are sorry...

The page you requested is not available at this time.

"  

Seen this same error page message in other searches for update hangs solutions.  

Looks like MS is saying "Talk to the hand" on questions about WS2K8 (where hardware won't take R2).  

haven't been able to update since April: "Checking for updates.....................................next day............................................"

#469 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Checking the "why has ..." link, I see "We are sorry...The page you requested is not available at this time."

Hi Occasional:

The MS Answers forum just underwent a major software update last week (see Cristal Reg's announcement New Site Design for Microsoft Community) and it appears to have broken many of the links I posted earlier in this thread.

The step-by-step instructions for fixing the "Checking for updates..." hang and speeding up Windows Update can now be found on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours at hours at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/updates-not-working-it-has-been-searching-for/92cd6922-17f6-4730-b46b-91a480b95dd3.  These instructions should patch Vista SP2 and IE9 up to the end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.

If you have MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed then see Volume Z's post on page 1 of peggybeggs' thread why has vista stopped automatic updates? at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/why-has-vista-stopped-automatic-updates/42c98c78-157b-44b7-858a-3ba92933cb90 for a list of additional Office updates that must be pre-installed to speed up Windows Update.  Note that 08-Aug-2017 is the August 2017 Patch Tuesday so Volume Z will likely be revising that post tomorrow with download links for any new Office speed up patches released with this month's Patch Tuesday updates.

Once Windows Update has run successfully and patched Vista SP2 and IE9 with the last batch of April 2017 security updates (i.e., to the end of extended support) see if you need to manually install any of the five special out-of-band security updates released in June 2017.  See More Shadow Brokers Exploits Patched June 2017 for Win XP and Vista at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/more-shadow-brokers-exploits-patched-june-2017-for/9c4bb6c9-79bd-4313-b92c-dfb23f4c5711.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3

Edited by lmacri, 07 August 2017 - 08:52 PM.

#470 Occasional

Occasional

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

@ imarci, RE broken links: 

Thank you!  I'll read through your suggestions, and try.  

If not already, suggest a sticky post (or maybe an article), regarding the MS Answers forum makeover and the broken links issue.  

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users