Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates"

• Please log in to reply
434 replies to this topic

#421 stillwithvista

stillwithvista

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:20 PM

Hello: does anyone know whether it's OK to put the PC to "sleep" during the "Checking for updates" phase? I've been putting off updating my Windows Vista desktop PC (my work machine) since last December because it's such an unbelievably inconvenient process.

But following the malware stories, and feeling that I ought to get around to it again, I started the update procedure - and it's been running for two and a half days. But not continuously, I've put the machine to sleep when not in use (with the Windows Update page still open and running when Sleep is initiated, and then going again when the machine "wakes" from the Sleep state).

I've never known it to run quite this long before though, so I'm concerned that it might just "appear" to still be searching and that I've broken things by Sleeping between times. One core of my two core CPU is still pegged at 100% (leaving the machine almost unusable), and I'm trying to decide whether to give up or let it continue and hope that it'll finally, eventually, present me with a list of available updates...

Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#422 joezapp

joezapp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

Since Vista is unsupported now, I think we should investigate the possibility of installing Windows Server 2008 security updates on Vista. I've found a website that goes through monthly updates and lists them. I'll try on a virtual machine whether they're compatible. I don't see a reason why they shouldn't to be honest, as these two share the same codebase. That would at least be something until 2020 if they are.

Sounds like this could be a good approach. Let us know how it worked for you!

#423 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hello: does anyone know whether it's OK to put the PC to "sleep" during the "Checking for updates" phase? I've been putting off updating my Windows Vista desktop PC (my work machine) since last December because it's such an unbelievably inconvenient process...

...I started the update procedure - and it's been running for two and a half days....One core of my two core CPU is still pegged at 100% (leaving the machine almost unusable), and I'm trying to decide whether to give up or let it continue and hope that it'll finally, eventually, present me with a list of available updates...

Hi stillwithvista:

Many Vista SP2 users have been having problems getting Windows Update to run to completion for several months, and one typical symptom is that the initial "Checking for updates..." phase can hang for days and saturate an entire CPU core (e.g., constant 50% CPU activity with a dual core CPU) before finding available updates.  This hang occurs while the Windows Update Agent (WUA) searches through the all the updates in the update catalog (wsusscn2.cab), including past updates that have been superseded (replaced) by newer updates.  Putting your computer to sleep likely isn't going to hurt, but I'm not certain if the WUA will simply pause and resume searching the update catalog where it left off when it comes out of sleep mode or if the WUA will actually restart the entire search.

See the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours for a possible workaround to speed up Windows Update.  These instructions will guide you through the manual pre-installation of speed up patches KB3205638, KB4012583, KB4015195, KB4015380 and KB4014661 if any of these updates are currently missing from your computer. KB3205638 was released on 13-Dec-2016 so it might already be installed on your system, but if you haven't successfully updated since December the others will definitely be missing.  Note the warnings about additional speed up patches that will have to be pre-installed if you have MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed.

There is also a Note 6 at the bottom of those instructions about a tool called WSUS Offline Update that can be used to install missing security updates for Vista SP2 and other MS products like MS Office.  First-time users sometimes find this tool a bit confusing because it's a two-step process - first run UpdateGenerator.exe and select what updates you'd like to install from the interface (options for Vista SP2 are located on the Legacy Products tab) to download missing updates, then run UpdateInstaller.exe (located in the Client folder) to finish the installation.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 16 May 2017 - 08:45 AM.

#424 Sardoc

Sardoc

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

I'd like to report that Windows Server 2008 May updates can indeed be installed on Vista! As expected, to be honest, since these two share the same codebase.

I went through Microsoft's long and confusing list of May updates, and downloaded the following updates:

WS2008 security: KB4018196, KB4018466, KB4018556, KB4018821, KB4018885, KB4018927, KB4019149, KB4019204, KB4019206

Internet Explorer: KB4018271

DST changes: KB4015193

.Net 4.6: ndp46-kb4014511, ndp46-kb4020503

.Net 2.0: KB4014502, KB4020511

There were also .Net 4.5.2 updates, but since .Net 4.6 supersedes it, I see no reason to download those anyway. Also, for some reason, WS2008 security update KB4018196 said it wasn't applicable, so I didn't install it, even though I did put it on the list.

Anyway, the updates installed just fine, and so far, nothing has exploded, so I suppose it's safe to say they work fine.

I'm quite happy to compile a list like this every month, even though Microsoft's list gives me a serious headache. I certainly don't mind that, considering WS2008 will have security updates every month until Jan 2020 (just like Win 7 and WS2008 R2).

Edited by Sardoc, 16 May 2017 - 05:01 PM.

#425 stillwithvista

stillwithvista

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

lmacri - very helpful information, thank you very much for replying!

#426 Kbk_75

Kbk_75

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

Hi KBk_75:

Here are two possible approaches...

Thanks for that, I'll see if I can get his Vista to at least be fully patched for now and then evaluate what's best, going forward. I'll let you know how it went once I get the job done! Cheers.

#427 BeigeBochs

BeigeBochs

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:04 PM

I'm quite happy to compile a list like this every month, even though Microsoft's list gives me a serious headache. I certainly don't mind that, considering WS2008 will have security updates every month until Jan 2020 (just like Win 7 and WS2008 R2).

I've created a monster!  ;)

#428 Sardoc

Sardoc

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:25 AM

I've created a monster!  ;)

8e878f3080bff3ff18a8c186126ed8f0.jpg

#429 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:42 AM

Strange happenings!

After installing the May Office updates, I found that I no longer had the option to stop WU from running!

Today my PC was very sluggish and freezing also Firefox kept going unresponsive

...not altogether unusual; then I noticed "New Updates Are available"!

Not yet installed it but here are the details, maybe I'm a bit paranoid but in the current climate, I thought I'd best check that this is legitimate! :unsure: 

Details:-

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2017 (KB890830)   Download size: 51.9 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

#430 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

After installing the May Office updates, I found that I no longer had the option to stop WU from running!

Hi six-h:

There is no Cancel button to stop a Windows Update in the Windows Update interface once an update session is triggered.  When you say "I found that I no longer had the option to stop WU from running!" do you mean that you are no longer able to disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended) and re-boot] to terminate any Windows Update sessions currently running in the background on your system?

Today my PC was very sluggish and freezing also Firefox kept going unresponsive...not altogether unusual; then I noticed "New Updates Are available"!

Not yet installed it but here are the details, maybe I'm a bit paranoid but in the current climate, I thought I'd best check that this is legitimate! :unsure:

Details:-  Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2017 (KB890830)

I don't think you have to worry as long as the update is being delivered via Windows Update (e.g., the Windows Security Alerts icon in your system tray notified you that it found an available update).  Even if the MSRT for April 2017 was previously delivered last month, it's become very common for Vista SP2 users to see the same monthly MSRT tool re-offered multiple times.  If Windows Update | View Update History shows that the MSRT for April 2017 already ran successfully last month just right click this update in your list of offered updates and hide it as describe in the How-To Geek article Disable or Hide Optional Updates on Windows Vista so that your April 2017 scan doesn't run a second time.

I posted some background information on these repeat MSRT offerings in post # 493 of ScousaJAY's thread windows update just seems to hang while checking and Gunter Born recently posted a possible workaround at the bottom of his tech blog entry Issues with Update KB890830 (Windows Malicious Removal Tool).  There are registry edits that will completely disable the MSRT but most affected users simply disable their automatic Windows Updates [i.e., Never check for updates (not recommended) and re-boot] and run a manual Windows Update once a month after the Patch Tuesday updates are released on the second Tuesday of the month so that automatic Windows Updates aren't constantly running in the background and wasting system resources.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 18 May 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#431 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Imacri, Very, very odd!

1. My PC has been set to Never check for updates since October/November last year.
  2. After installing the Office updates for May, I checked Windows Security Centre, which said Updates set to Automatic, and I couldn't alter it (The change setting Button was not shown)
  3. The update presented to me today was MSRT for April which oddly wasn't installed in April!
  4. Having searched for it (after installing today) "Installed Updates" reports "No Matches Found".
  5. Checking "View Update History", it is at the top of the list. :scratchhead:

#432 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

I've now revised my instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours for the April 2017 Patch Tuesday updates...

Just an FYI for users with a clean reinstall of Vista SP2 (i.e., no IE9 or MS Office) that I've tweaked my step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours to include a comment about a .cmd batch file posted on Dalai's website at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ that should automatically install the required speed up patches KB3205638, KB4012583, KB4015195 and KB4015380.

Users with IE9 and/or MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed who run this batch file will still have to manually pre-install additional speed up patches mentioned in the instructions in m#l's thread (or custom edit Dalai's script) in order to speed up Windows Update on their Vista SP2 computer.

-----------

Edited by lmacri, 20 May 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#433 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

Try the offline approach.  The last vista update may be a doozy.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

#434 ABadVista

ABadVista

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Hello, I'm new on Bleeping and found this huge string while trying to put the latest patch for the wanna ransom virus on my Vista Home Premium SP2 without connecting to the internet but downloading it to a thumbdrive on a W10 laptop. I stopped my updates to Vista back in July 2016 because they were killing the performance of the system. It seems like all the answers must be here in the 29 pages and years of posts but after reading for hours I'm more confused than ever as to what to do. Since Vista should not be getting any more endless updates can someone please sum up what the heck is needed to get a Vista system up to the latest patches without it taking days to update. It would be great if I could understand the steps and that they are in order. I can't even get past the wusa.exe to install the last virus patch because it says other accounts are using the process which leaves me at a loss as to what to do next. So when you tell me to run it in cmd mode as an administrator, I need more info when it doesn't work. Hours and hours of reading but nothing is fixed on my bleeping computer.

#435 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

Hello, I'm new on Bleeping and found this huge string while trying to put the latest patch for the wanna ransom virus on my Vista Home Premium SP2...I stopped my updates to Vista back in July 2016 because they were killing the performance of the system...

Hi ABadVista:

Please see my advice to KBk_75 in post # 419 of this thread.  There are two options presented in that post - either manually pre-install a small number of speed up patches before running Windows Update or use the WSUS Offline Update tool to install your missing updates.  The KB4012598 patch for the EternalBlue exploit used by the WannaCry ransomware was released with the March 2017 Patch Tuesday updates (MS17-010: Security Update for Microsoft Windows SMB Server, March 14, 2017) so once your Vista SP2 OS is fully patched you should be protected.

If you haven't updated since July 2016 and want to immediately apply the KB4012598 patch to protect you from the WannaCry ransomware then see my instructions in W Phototu's thread KB4012598 wannacry ransomware patch not working on vista in the MS Answers forum where I post as user Great White North.  Those instructions note that you must disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot to terminate any Windows Update sessions currently running in the background on your system before running the standalone .msu installer for KB4012598.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.2 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 21 May 2017 - 11:01 PM.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users