Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates"

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#361 Slime58

Slime58

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

Sorry, I've just managed to sort it.

I had to go to Computer Management, click on services, scroll down to themes, click on themes and then hit the 'Restart the Service' option in the top left hand corner.

Google is, sometimes, your friend!

I thought I'd mention this in case someone else was similarly confused.

Slime58.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#362 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Slime58,

This happened to me as well, in January if I remember correctly. Couldn't check it now because I'm on another machine. But I know it was the update for graphical components. I just uninstalled it without searching for a solution.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot:

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

#363 Dredredre

Dredredre

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

Don't complicate guys. It happened to me aswell, all I had to do was restart my computer and it's back to normal. 

#364 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Don't complicate guys. It happened to me aswell, all I had to do was restart my computer and it's back to normal. 

Restart didn't solve my problem so I had to uninstall the patch.

(I usually don't install every update. But this was while searching for a solution for the connection problem to Microsoft servers. There is another thread in forum about this issue I had.)

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot:

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

#365 BeigeBochs

BeigeBochs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

It's about time Microsoft released updates for Vista and other Windows versions.  It was kind of unnerving seeing practically no updates in January and February.  It made me wonder if Microsoft was trying to make us think that Windows had reached a grand level of hardness that made it difficult to find new exploits for!  Obviously with the list of security bulletins this month, that was never so.

This month, the Vista systems I worked on took only twelve minutes at the most to complete a check for updates in WUA the day before Patch Tuesday.  The next day, I started a check manually and observed it sit there checking for three days non-stop while hogging a whole CPU (core).  Today, I finally aborted the check (restarted WUAUSERV) and fired up MBSA to run a check that way.  I then manually downloaded and installed the missing updates for Office 2007 and then the win32k.sys update for this month (KB4012497) and rebooted.  Sixty-four minutes after running another check for updates with WUA, it was ready to install all remaining updates for Windows Vista and other software.

Another month of updates down, one more to go before Microsoft dropkicks Windows Vista!

BeigeBochs

WUA = Windows Update Agent/Client

MBSA = Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer

WUAUSERV = Windows Update Automatic Updates Service (Where the heck did I get WUAUSVC from?)

#366 mae_dita

mae_dita

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Hey everyone.

I've been reading through this thread the last 2 days while trying to fix the update hang on my Vista PC.  My last successful automatic Windows Vista update occured July 2016.  I've tried following Dalai's tutorial, but no success so far.  I have all the necessary files preinstalled for Aug. 2016: KB3177725, KB3168965, KB3145739, KB3078601, KB3164033, and KB3109094.  Yet "checking for updates" continues to hang.  I'm wondering if because I last received a full month of patches so long ago (July 2016), are there additional updates I need to install manually in order to get Windows to find updates? 

Thanks for all the info provided in this thread.  Much appreciated.

Mae

#367 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

My last successful automatic Windows Vista update occured July 2016.  I've tried following Dalai's tutorial, but no success so far.  I have all the necessary files preinstalled for Aug. 2016: KB3177725, KB3168965, KB3145739, KB3078601, KB3164033, and KB3109094.  Yet "checking for updates" continues to hang.  I'm wondering if because I last received a full month of patches so long ago (July 2016), are there additional updates I need to install manually in order to get Windows to find updates?

Hi mae_dita:

Every Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month) there are new speed up patches that must be pre-installed to speed up Windows Update for Vista SP2.  Please read the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  Those instructions are based on Dalai's workaround, and If Windows Update hasn't run successfully on your system since July 2016 then you will likely require all the speed up patches listed in STEP # 2 of those instructions.  Unfortunately, the patches you already installed have now been superseded (replaced) by newer updates and are no longer valid.

Please read Note 6 of those instructions if you have MS Office or a MS Office Compatibility Pack installed on your system.  The search for available security updates for MS Office products can significantly increase the initial "Checking for updates..." phase of Windows Update, and there is a link in Note 6 to peggybeggs' thread why has vista stopped automatic updates? where Volume Z maintains a list of additional speed up patches for various MS Office products.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.1 * NIS v22.9.0.71 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 20 March 2017 - 06:37 PM.

#368 Slime58

Slime58

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hi mae_dita

I'm not sure whether this will help, but, here are all the updates I've installed from December 2016.

Try installing them individually ..................... it may help.

Attached File  Vista Updates.jpg   127.51KB   1 downloads

Best of luck,

Slime58.

#369 mae_dita

mae_dita

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Thank you, Slime58 & Imacri!

I have read through the step by step instructions you linked.  Later tonight, I will manually install all those speed up patches from Step 2, as recommended.  One quick question, I have MS Office Word Viewer 2003 installed.  Is that technically a component of MS Office or the MS Office Compatibility Pack?  I think it is, but I'm not certain.  If so, I'll take a look at note 6 from your guide as well.  

Thanks again for your help.  

Edit:  After reading about the MS Office patches from Volume Z - I'm still a little unclear about which one I would need.  Do I need the two .exe files for the 2003/2007 variety (KB3178677 and KB3178682)?  And do those updates work similar to the .msu files?  Again, I only have the MS Office Word Viewer 2003 program.  Sorry for my novice-level questions.  Any help is, of course, much appreciated.

Edited by mae_dita, 20 March 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#370 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

I have MS Office Word Viewer 2003 installed.  Is that technically a component of MS Office or the MS Office Compatibility Pack?

Hi mae_dita:

Technically, the Word Viewer is just a utility offered by Microsoft that allows users to view and print Word documents on computers that don't have MS Word installed.  According to the MS Security Bulletin MS17-014 (Security Update for Microsoft Office: March 14, 2017) there was a security update KB3178694 (Security Update for Word Viewer: March 14, 2017) released this month that applies to Microsoft Word Viewer 2003 Service Pack 3, but I have no idea if pre-installing it would actually help to speed up Windows Update.  I doubt it's critical that you pre-install KB3178694 but If you want to try here's the download link - if you see an error stating "The update is not applicable to your computer" during the installation then it isn't required on your system.
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3178694

Just an FYI that the Word Viewer 2003 is an out-of-date product and has been replaced by a newer Word Viewer released in 2007 that can view both .doc and .docx files (see https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=4).

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.1 * NIS v22.9.0.71 * MBAM Premium v2.2.

Edited by lmacri, 20 March 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#371 mae_dita

mae_dita

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

I have MS Office Word Viewer 2003 installed.  Is that technically a component of MS Office or the MS Office Compatibility Pack?

Hi mae_dita:

Technically, the Word Viewer is just a utility offered by Microsoft that allows users to view and print Word documents on computers that don't have MS Word installed.  According to the MS Security Bulletin MS17-014 (Security Update for Microsoft Office: March 14, 2017) there was a security update KB3178694 (Security Update for Word Viewer: March 14, 2017) released this month that applies to Microsoft Word Viewer 2003 Service Pack 3, but I have no idea if pre-installing it would actually help to speed up Windows Update.  I doubt it's critical that you pre-install KB3178694 but If you want to try here's the download link - if you see an error stating "The update is not applicable to your computer" during the installation then it isn't required on your system.
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3178694

Just an FYI that the Word Viewer 2003 is an out-of-date product and has been replaced by a newer Word Viewer released in 2007 that can view both .doc and .docx files (see https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=4).

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.1 * NIS v22.9.0.71 * MBAM Premium v2.2.

Hi Imacri.

Thanks for the feedback.  I think I was editing my post while you were replying.  ;)  I went ahead and uninstalled Word Viewer 2003, for now.  I'll install the newer version when I need it again. I've got all the manual updates completed, so now it's on to a manual Windows Update check... fingers crossed.  Thanks again!

Edited by mae_dita, 21 March 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#372 mae_dita

mae_dita

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:36 AM

Thank you, Imacri!

After just 15 minutes Windows found 26 updates.  I'm installing as I type.  Can't thank you enough for your help.

#373 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

After just 15 minutes Windows found 26 updates....

Hi mae_dita:

Glad to hear Windows Update was finally able to run to completion, and thanks for the feedback.

Users will be posting their results in this thread shortly after the April 2017 Patch Tuesday updates are released on 11-Apr-2017 and they've had a chance to test the next speed up patch(es) recommended by Dalai's at http://wu.krelay.de/en/.  I've been using Dalai's workaround on Patch Tuesdays since June 2016 and this method has always worked well for me.

These days it's the users who have a supported MS Office or MS Office Compatibility Pack product installed who seem to be having the most trouble finding the right combination of speed up patches. I can't be bothered hunting down and installing the speed up patches for my MS Office Compatibility Pack every month - I usually just install Dalai's speed up patches and let Windows Update run an extra hour or two on my 32-bit Vista SP2 machine.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.1 * NIS v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 21 March 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#374 mae_dita

mae_dita

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 12:23 AM

After just 15 minutes Windows found 26 updates....

Hi mae_dita:

Glad to hear Windows Update was finally able to run to completion, and thanks for the feedback.

Users will be posting their results in this thread shortly after the April 2017 Patch Tuesday updates are released on 11-Apr-2017 and they've had a chance to test the next speed up patch(es) recommended by Dalai's at http://wu.krelay.de/en/.  I've been using Dalai's workaround on Patch Tuesdays since June 2016 and this method has always worked well for me.

These days it's the users who have a supported MS Office or MS Office Compatibility Pack product installed who seem to be having the most trouble finding the right combination of speed up patches. I can't be bothered hunting down and installing the speed up patches for my MS Office Compatibility Pack every month - I usually just install Dalai's speed up patches and let Windows Update run an extra hour or two on my 32-bit Vista SP2 machine.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.0.1 * NIS v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Thanks, Imacri.

Everything installed with no hangups in about an hour total.  Which seems lightning fast after all my previous attempts, checking for hours and hours.  I'll follow this thread to keep apprised of the April speed-up patches.  Seriously, I appreciate your help.  I would have just given up otherwise.  Cheers.  :)

#375 BeigeBochs

BeigeBochs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 08:18 PM

Just an FYI that the Word Viewer 2003 is an out-of-date product and has been replaced by a newer Word Viewer released in 2007 that can view both .doc and .docx files.

Actually, the "newer" Word Viewer is still Word Viewer 2003, just in "Word Viewer 2007" packaging.  If you uninstall the old Word Viewer and install the Word Viewer from this newer download package, you still wind up with Word Viewer 2003.  Plus, you still need to install the Office Compatibility Pack in order for the viewer to open .docx files, just like the "old" one.

The only difference between this and the download it replaced is that it contains Service Pack 3 for Word Viewer 2003.  If you've had Word Viewer 2003 since before the release of this package, Microsoft Update had by now already automatically downloaded and applied Service Pack 3 and subsequent updates, so you don't have to download the newer package to stay up to date.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users