Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates"

• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#16 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

I ran my May 2016 Patch Tuesday updates yesterday and just wanted to report that last month's KB3145739 update did not fix my problem. The initial "Checking for updates..." phase took just under 4 hours this month, with Windows Update service wuauserv (running under the svchost.exe process) completely saturating one of my Intel dual cores and constantly consuming ~50% of my CPU.

Once "Checking for updates..." finished the 16 updates detected by Windows Updates downloaded and installed normally.  Further details and an image of my CPU consumption are posted in the Vista Forums thread windows update just seems to hang while checking.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v46.0.1 * NIS v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

After installing KB3153199, I didn't have any problems with checking for updates as long as I don't dare to install some of updates found. Today I broke my word from yesterday and just wanted to make a last experiment. I selected a very old patch from 2012 (KB2748349, listed as 149KB only), which wasn't installed before and installed it. Terrible experience! It took much time as if the file is a bigger patch. (Does Microsoft install some other things?)

After restart, the problem with TrustedInstaller began. 40-50% CPU usage all the time. Uninstalling that patch didn't help. Still high CPU usage. My last restore point saved my life!

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot:

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

#18 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:09 AM

Hi devilus:

The current consensus is that pre-installing these new Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32k.sys) updates like KB3145739 (Apr 2016) and KB3153199 (May 2106) from the Microsoft Download Center every month can "trick" Windows Update into running Patch Tuesday updates faster for many users, but it's only a temporary solution and the problem will return the next month

See my comments in post # 150 of the Vista Forums thread windows update just seems to hang while checking, which includes a link to a webpage Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution that is tracking the recommended Win32k.sys updates (both Win 7 and Vista) that must be installed each successive month before running the Patch Tuesday updates in order for this "trick" to work.

I should also note that the webpage Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution includes a list of cumulative KB updates for the Win 7 Update Client that have improved the Windows Update Agent (WUA) performance on Win 7 systems with limited amounts of RAM.  Unfortunately, Microsoft has not released similar updates for the WUA that are compatible with Vista.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v46.0.1 * NIS v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 14 May 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#19 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

Hi devilus:

The current consensus is that pre-installing these new Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32k.sys) updates like KB3145739 (Apr 2016) and KB3153199 (May 2106) from the Microsoft Download Center every month can "trick" Windows Update into running Patch Tuesday updates faster for many users, but it's only a temporary solution and the problem will return the next month

I know that, Imacri. My current problem is not "checking forever". The problem I meant occurs after installing some updates. Don't you get high CPU usage caused by TrustedInstaller after installing updates?

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot:

#20 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

I know that, Imacri. My current problem is not "checking forever". The problem I meant occurs after installing some updates. Don't you get high CPU usage caused by TrustedInstaller after installing updates?

Hi devilus:

I only have a problem with the initial "Checking for updates..." phase hanging for hours during Patch Tuesday updates and constantly consuming 50% of my CPU (complete saturation of one core of my dual core).  All this CPU is consumed by the Windows Update service (wuauserv) running under svchost.exe.  Once "Checking for updates..." completes and reports that updates are available, the download and installation phases finish normally, as I noted in post # 16.

All users participating in ScousaJAY's Vista Forums thread windows update just seems to hang while checking see this same long delay for the initial "Checking for updates..." phase to run to completion, but subsequent problems with downloads and installations are not common and the CPU consumption usually drops back to baseline once the Windows Update session is finished.

It's normal for TrustedInstaller to run for a short period of time after Windows Update finishes the installation phase.  The article How to resolve trustedinstaller.exe high CPU usage explains the CPU usage by the Windows Trusted Installer late in the Windows Update process:

"You may also find trustedinstaller.exe consuming a major portion of CPU resources for some time after new updates have been downloaded. This again is normal behavior. This process is designed to continue checking for new updates for some time after completion of the update scan. This, in turn, helps ensure that all available new updates are downloaded to your pc."

Here's a screenshot from my March 2016 Patch Tuesday updates showing TrustedInstaller.exe running at the end of the Windows Update session after 11 important updates were installed.  The constant consumption of 50% of my CPU by wuauserv (running under svchost.exe) between the 90 and 35 min marks was the last hour or so of the "Checking for updates...." phase .  The downloads, installation, monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool (mrt.exe) scan and final check by TrustedInstaller completed between the 35 and 10 min marks.  The dark grey band at 10 min was the system restart, and once my system was re-booted the CPU returned to baseline.

------------

Attached File  Windows Update D Trusted Installer 11 Mar 2016.png   25.27KB   5 downloads

Edited by lmacri, 14 May 2016 - 01:27 PM.

#21 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:39 AM

Thanks, Imacri. But I never got problems with svchost and/or TrustedInstaller in the last 8 years. Here is a quote from another Windows 7 forum, posted in April 2016:

"Regarding TrustedInstaller: if your computer is an older model (such as core-2-duo or earlier), the computer might have to sit there for hours or days before TrustedInstaller is finished doing whatever it's does.  Just leave it on overnight(s) until it's done.  If it's taking a long time to complete, it's usually doing something associated with Windows Updates, and if you've been reading, you know that Microsoft's Windows Update system has become a disaster.  Even brand-spanking-new i7 computers asking to check Windows Updates won't get responses from Microsoft for a few hours.  It's part of Microsoft's strategy for forcing people to upgrade to Windows 10, which somehow avoids those delays."

I think the poster has a point.

Edited by devilus, 15 May 2016 - 07:59 AM.

Selective boot:

#22 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

Hi devilus:

I'd agree.  Most users in ScousaJay's thread windows update just seems to hang while checking in the VistaForums first saw this "Checking for updates..." hang during the Aug 2015 Patch Tuesday updates, the first Patch Tuesday following the official July 2015 release of Windows 10.

From my thread August 2015 Windows Update for Vista Requires One Hour to Run to Completion in the Microsoft Answers forum (under a different username): "Is Microsoft throttling bandwidth for users running Windows Update on Vista machines to give a higher priority to Win 10 users?"  I'm hoping that Microsoft will fix this problem for Win 7 users after July 29, 2016 when their free upgrade offer to Win 10 ends per the MS blog post <here>, but I doubt that they have any intention of releasing a permanent fix for Vista users.

------------

Edited by lmacri, 15 May 2016 - 08:10 AM.

#23 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

If I had a Vista computer, I would seriously think about wiping it off the drive and installing linux. I couldn't deal with this heartache, especially with Vista support ending next year.

It's a bad enough pain dealing with Windows 7 updates. I hate to think we will have four more years of this nonsense.

#24 Intelektualista

Intelektualista

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:14 AM

Hello

I'm writing this post supporting with a translator, so sorry for my poor English.

I read your forum and I can not believe what is happening. Yesterday I had to reinstall my Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I installed SP1, SP2. Then I turned on the updates, the system reported that the need to install the latest Windows Update Agent. So I did. And since then, the 15 hours it takes "Checking for updates ...". Fifteen hours ... It's unbelievable. During this time, the CPU is still working at 50% (svchost.exe). I read on your forum, it may help manually install KB3145739 and KB3153199, but I'm afraid the consequences, about which wrote a user Devilus in this topic:

After installing KB3153199 two days ago, today I dared to install some security updates. High CPU usage came back, causing by TrustedInstaller this time. I uninstalled all updates and restarted the system. High CPU usage was still there. So I had to use my restore point to solve this problem. :angry:

I'LL NEVER INSTALL UPDATES AGAIN ON VISTA. IF NECESSARY, I'LL TURN OFF WU COMPLETELY. I CANNOT FIGHT MICROSOFT EVERY DAY.

What do You think, worth installing the above patches manually?

P.S. It seems to me that there are three possible explanations these problems:
1. Microsoft no longer support the old CPUs (like my Core 2 Duo).
2. Microsoft forced users to change the system on Windows 10.
3. Older versions of Windows are the lowest priority on Update Servers.

But one thing bothers me ... What it does for 15 hours is a svchost.exe...

#25 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:42 AM

Intelektualista, you have to install both KB3145739 and KB3153199, to prevent long checking time for updates. So that means svchost would complete the task in a shorter time.

Download both patches manually, disable Windows update and install first KB3145739 (-->restart) and then KB3153199 (-->restart). And then try to check updates manually. You'll see it will be completed in a shorter time (I hope so).

Later It's up to you if you install some updates. My WU is set to "Check but don't install" and no problem with checking anymore. Completed in few minutes only.

Selective boot:

#26 Intelektualista

Intelektualista

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:58 AM

Intelektualista, you have to install both KB3145739 and KB3153199, to prevent long checking time for updates. So that means svchost would complete the task in a shorter time.

Download both patches manually, disable Windows update and install first KB3145739 (-->restart) and then KB3153199 (-->restart). And then try to check updates manually. You'll see it will be completed in a shorter time (I hope so).

Later It's up to you if you install some updates. My WU is set to "Check but don't install" and no problem with checking anymore. Completed in few minutes only.

Hello
Thank You for the quick reply.

Ok I will. But first, explain to me please what do You mean by:
"Disable Windows update ..."
Do You think of:
- Disable the Windows Update Service from the service level (Services.msc)?

or
- Disable the from the application WU (through the "Never check for updates")?

#27 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:55 AM

(Sorry for the delay. I've lost connection to the Bleeping. Writing from my phone now.)
It's up to you. You have first to stop it in services. Then right click WU in services-->Properties-->Select Disabled. Or select "never check for updates" in WU settings. It's the same. And restart, just to be sure it isn't running.

Selective boot:

#28 Intelektualista

Intelektualista

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:47 AM

Devilus Unfortunately I could not install KB3145739:

Setup encountered an error: 0xc8000222

Do you have an idea what could be the problem?

#29 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

Did you install any updates automatically, after you reinstalled Vista?

Selective boot:

#30 Intelektualista

Intelektualista

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:13 AM

Only Windows Update Agent. And since then, the 15 hours it takes "Checking for updates ..."

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users