Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Right clicked an ".exe" explorer.exe crashed [Possible Infection?]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ellox

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:59 PM

I Right clicked an ".exe" which immediately followed with an explorer.exe crash.
It then restored itself. and i saw internet go on and off.

I am curious if just right clicking an exe can cause a virus.
Cant really reboot now i have so much work open.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,392 posts
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:22 PM

Right-clicking shouldn't open a file or run a virus, unless something already injected itself into the context menu. Most likely there is something in the context menu that crashed (hooked from the registry), or something else is causing issues with Explorer. You may be best asking in the "Am I Infected?" forums, some scans would need to be ran to investigate.

You should save your work, it will be inevitable to reboot the computer during investigation. While you're at it, make sure you have proper backups of your important data in the event something happens.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 ellox

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:29 PM

Funny you say that :)
I am actually in the process of backing up my PC.
Was going for a format because i crash with certain games.
Tried the whole driver update this and that already.

Concerned i might be backing up a virus though. :/

Edited by ellox, 21 April 2016 - 11:30 PM.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,632 posts
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:07 AM

1) can you submit the EXE to VirusTotal and post the link to the report here?

2) when you right-click a file in Windows Explorer, helper programs "embedded" in Windows Explorer will access the file and might read it to analyze it. These helper programs (DLLs running inside the explorer.exe process) might malfunction, and make explorer.exe crash. Do you know what helper programs you have installed? Is your right-click menu just the default menu, or do other options appear (a popular one is WinZip).

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users