Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello, I need help please and thanks :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZombiesAteMyCats

ZombiesAteMyCats

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:43 PM

Ok, so I just bought this computer for $40.  It was donated to a rescue mission my friend works at,  He bought the laptop from the second hand store they have, it is a nice computer but I think something is wrong with it.  The guy I bought it from is pretty computer smart. He said it was badly infected when he bought it, he said he cleaned up most of the viruses but its still not working right, he couldn't fix it, so he sold it to me.  I was more than happy to buy it for $40.  If worse comes to worse its only $40 I lose, but it might be a gem in the rough, and I really need a computer.  So anyways he tried fixing it before he sold it to me.  I'm not exactly sure what he did to it, but he said it kept giving him security errors when he tried to go to any website, that it kept saying invalid certificate, certificate out of date, etc.  or something like that.  He said he downloaded programs from this site that he has used before, and he said it got rid of the virus causing the errors, but he said something is still wrong with it.

I just got the computer yesterday.  I tried using it and internet works, websites load up no problem, accept they take a long time to load, an extremely long time to load.  For the make and model of this computer it should be running a lot faster than what it does.  I'm no computer expert, but I am pretty computer smart, and I know with 4g ram, AMD Turion64x2 processor, and a nvidia graphic card Geforce 7150M/ nforce 630M it should run a lot smoother and faster than what it does.  I tried running a program he had on here called Rkill, just to see what happened.  And it said no malware detected, but then it said C:\Windows\syswow64\UTSCSI.EXE stopped or killed and it was wd-heur.  So im pretty sure there is something still on here that the guy I bought it from missed, plus it runs extremely slow, I know its not a brand new computer, but its not a piece of junk either, and this thing is running super slow.  Any help you guys can give me would be very much appreciated.  He left all the programs on the computer, I see Rkill, Combofix, Junkware Removal Tool, Adware Cleaner, and malwarebytes, on here, plus the antiviruse which is Kaspersky.  So I know he did try to remove whatever it was on here.  Im just not sure what exactly to do with these programs and dont want to mess anything up, so decided id come here and ask you guys.  Like I said I just got the computer from him, so I would like to try to fix it up so I can have a good computer to use.  Thank you for your help and your time.  Lead the way and let me know what I need to do and I will do it.  I work full time, but will respond back as soon as possible.  Thank You again for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daScholar

daScholar

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:44 PM

A few questions for ya.

What version of Windows is it running? Since you got the computer yesterday you probably don't have too much invested as to what is on the computer. If this is the case would you be interested in a clean install of Windows. We can recover your license keys as needed if you like that idea.

Some generic ideas that might help what your describing are; clear out plugins/add-ons in the browsers. Run ccleaner both hard drive and on registry. Uninstall any software you don't need. Defragment your hard drive. I'm going with the assumption that you don't have malware really popping up on your list. But I wouldn't rule it out. And when computers have been used a lot and run a variety of legit programs they naturally slow down which will in affect browser speed as well.

Let me know what your thoughts are and any questions you have

If you think what I've said is helpful consider visiting my site. HelpfulDesk.Org A new site I'm building to help those with computer questions.

It's a brand new site. So any support you can give (inquiries, comments, visits) are appreciated immensly

Be awesome out there ~ daScholar

#3 ZombiesAteMyCats

ZombiesAteMyCats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

Hello, sorry I have been working my butt off, so havent had much time to use the new pc.  I tried doing a fresh instal, but realized the cd/dvd drive does not seem to work on this computer.  I wish I could do a full wipe, that would be lovely.  Also, I went into Bios and changed boot order to boot from dvd 1st, then hhd.  but still it doesnt even try to boot from the dvd drive.   I have usb sticks that are 8g and 16g.  I would love to be interested in how to create a windows usb bootable install network usb.  I know of them because my friend chris had one, but we no longer talk, and I dont know how to create one.  But I would liike to see if it would let me do a network boot and format from a USB disk.  If you could help me with that, I would be more than greatful, but if not then I'll still be happy just to clear anything out of this that may be causing it to run so sluggish and slow.  Thank you for your time :)

#4 daScholar

daScholar

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hey there, 

No worries I feel ya, I just finished up my finals. Booting from a USB is my preferred method of installing windows. You won't have do an install from the Network. Mainly IT guys do that sort of thing. Unless your computer is REALLY old (like windows XP old) your computer should automatically detect the USB when you get to the boot order options. If you make it the first priority in the list the computer should boot to your prepared USB instead of the hard drive.

So creating a bootable USB is a bit of a lengthy process so I've written up a quick draft of how to do it on my website. If you wanna look there it will help guide you to getting your computer booted up to your USB. 

http://www.helpfuldesk.org/create-bootable-windows-usb/

If anything is unclear feel free to ask me. (It was a rather quick write-up) :P

If you think what I've said is helpful consider visiting my site. HelpfulDesk.Org A new site I'm building to help those with computer questions.

It's a brand new site. So any support you can give (inquiries, comments, visits) are appreciated immensly

Be awesome out there ~ daScholar

#5 ZombiesAteMyCats

ZombiesAteMyCats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

Thank you, Im working on it now.  I'll let you know how it goes.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users