Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop New HD Replacement HELP!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Steffan87

Steffan87

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

Hey guys, My mom recently went away and I realized her laptop HD was failing (the msg would come up everytime you start the comp). Long story short I got a version of Windows 7 and burned it to a DVD+R BOOTABLE DVD. SO i COnnected her new Hard drive and there is nothing on it so I figured that a bootable windows 7 CD+R would help install the new copy of windows on the new hard drive. All it does it make some noises like its trying to run the DVD and then says please insert bootable disk once again. It is a bootable disk i thought? I used powerISO burned windows 7 to DVD+R disk but still will not install windows on the fresh HD. Help? I think? Idk what else to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:44 PM

It would be best to get a machine specific disk to re-install Windows on that machine, if you call HP they can supply it for you. Sometimes for a nominal fee.

If the machine has a Windows serial number on a sticker on the underside you could use a standard Windows image, but you will have to search for your drivers from the HP website.

Make sure you are creating a disk with your ISO image, not copying the data to disk. They are very different functions.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:45 PM

Also, if you still have the old HDD you could clone only the recovery partition to the new disk and just boot from the new disk and do the native recovery procedure.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:39 AM

What media did you use to create the Windows 7 installation disc?

Did you have a ISO image to burn the disc from?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:06 AM

Below is the link for the Microsoft downloads - I would have thought that the one you used would be from the internet somewhere and would not be official. 

http://176.99.4.36/Windows%207/Eng/

Make sure you choose the architecture that is compatible with your system. (64 bit and 32 bit) 

Download the file on the working computer. (the download will take around 3 or so hours) 

When it has done, insert a blank DVD-RW disc into the DVD drive, make sure you leave it unformatted.

Right click on the ISO file you downloaded, and click Burn Disc Image.

Windows Disc Burner will open, just click burn at the bottom of the window. When it has burned, it will eject automatically. 

Put the disc into the laptop, and power it on. 

When the manufacturer logo shows, open the boot menu.

The boot menu key is different on some computers. Usually it is F12, but sometimes it can be the other function keys. 

When the boot menu has loaded, use the arrow keys to select the CD/DVD Drive. 

Press enter and then do a custom install of Windows 7. 

Hope this helps  :thumbup2:

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:30 AM

Who is providing these .iso's ckemp? How do we know they are not tampered?

#7 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:32 AM

These are the files that Microsoft use .

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:32 AM

How do we know?

Not saying that they aren't, but I wouldn't install an operating system from unknown sources.

Edited by TsVk!, 24 April 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#9 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:34 AM

https://www.reddit.com/domain/176.99.4.36/

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:39 AM

Could be hacked or modified with built in rootkits. There is no way to know what those images really are without pulling them apart, or getting the hash from MS and verifying it against the image.

Edited by TsVk!, 24 April 2016 - 06:41 AM.

#11 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:41 AM

I can see where your coming from. 

Well these are Microsoft's files and I use these to source my discs. 

I have not found one problem yet and I have them all downloaded.

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

@ckemp, this is not an authorize source for distributing Windows ISOs and you know it.  I would not recommend downloading from this source.

#13 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:57 AM

This is official, you can see at the link I provided above. 

#14 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/opendirectories/comments/3w761d/microsoft_iso_downloads_windows_and_office/

Read some of the comments on here, you are extremely mistaken. 

"I was just in a livechat with a Microsoft support member. They used remote desktop, went to this site because it apparently is the only place on the planet with a clean Windows 8 iso. If I get any problems I did a screen cap of the entire session."

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/opendirectories/comments/3w761d/microsoft_iso_downloads_windows_and_office/

Read some of the comments on here, you are extremely mistaken. 

"I was just in a livechat with a Microsoft support member. They used remote desktop, went to this site because it apparently is the only place on the planet with a clean Windows 8 iso. If I get any problems I did a screen cap of the entire session."

Not really, you can use the workaround here to get any Windows iso. Just tried it and it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users