Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware removed two files, wonder what they were, how I got them

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cristooo

cristooo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

Hi currently my latest adware scan shows I have no malicious software on my computer, but the scan before that removed the following two items. 

I am wondering what they were, how they work, how I might have got them. 

Thankyou for any insight. 

[-] File Deleted : C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxps_dsms0mj1bbhn4.cloudfront.net_0.localstorage-journal

[-] Key Deleted : HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\InternetRegistry\REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-18\Software\Web Assistant

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Struppigel

Struppigel

Karsten Hahn, G DATA Malware Analyst

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

Hello cristoo.

The first result is part from the Local Storage in Chrome. This folder is used to save browser data ordered by domain. The domain listed there (hxxps_dsms0mj1bbhn4.cloudfront.net) is related to Amazon CloudFront (a service for content delivery). It might be used by anything, legitimate and bad applications.

Web Assistant by Perion Network is an adware that gets installed into your browsers as Browser Helper Object. It may redirect search results, change the default search provider and display advertisments. Such programmes are called potentially unwanted. They come usually bundled with installers or updaters. Keep your eyes open if you are installing a software. Take care to use the custom installation and opt-out of additional offers.

Marie

#3 cristooo

cristooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for taking the time to give me some insight. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users