Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adw cleaner - Should I clean the registry?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 baazi

baazi

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

I ran Adw cleaner today, and following registry key were found.  Should I clean it or they are important.  Please see below. 

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AniGIF.ucAniGIF
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.Protector
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.Protector.1
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorLib
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorLib.1
Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\yt.YToolbarBand.1

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum, as suggested via report. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

Generally the best thing to do with the registry is leave it alone, whether they're important or not, I recommend leaving them alone.

Registry cleaners aren't recommended, they have the potential to do far more harm than good.

Steve

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

AdwCleaner is a portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that is designed to search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware as well as related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions.

The contents of the AdwCleaner log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you recognize and know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on and uncheck any items you want to keep.

A Google search indicates those registry items are related to adware.

BTW...AdwCleaner has a Quarantine manager (under Tools) for files and registry elements that can be useful in case it accidentaly detected/removed a legitimate file during the cleaning mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 socklosk

socklosk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:01 AM

Watch where you download AdwCleaner. I do not know for sure, but one version seemed to screw up my computer and Windows had a warning that I do not execute the program. Thank God I had a good backup of my system. Your best protection against malware and viruses is to occasionally back up your system.  

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:04 AM

Official Web Site/download link: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
Official Web Site/direct download link: https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1/
Official download mirror: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users