Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Word

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mcguire1019

mcguire1019

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:52 PM

When I open Word from the desktop or start menu, it takes a good minute or so for it to open. This is the only program that does it.

I have Windows XP P4 512MB RAM...

Can anyone help?

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 05 August 2006 - 06:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

Word and most MS programs are usally a big program even though a minute might be a little too long. Did Word used to do this before? And when you say this is the only one so programs like Powerpoint and Excel dont take long?
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 mcguire1019

mcguire1019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

Word never acted like this before. I don't recall when it happened, it just seemed to be noticeably longer. I have even decided to leave Word open so that it doesn't take long to open it. Excel and other MS programs to do not seem to be as long as Word.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

Hi mcguire1019.
The most common cause of that is a corrupt template.
Click Start>Run and copy the command below and paste it in to the run dialog box:

winword.exe /a

If it opens normally or very fast, either your Normal.dot template or one of the files in Word's Startup path is corrupt.
In this case, make sure Word\Office, IE, Outlook are all closed. Locate and rename "Normal.dot" to "Normal.old". If it still opens slowly, try moving any files that are in Word's Startup path to another folder.

If it still doesn't help, make sure you aren't logging Word information in the Outlook Journal. In Outlook, click Tools> Options> Journal (journal options). Deselect all options, click OK and see if Word Opens normally.

If you are on a network, this could also be a printer issue.
Check to make sure the default printer is correctly set for Office\Word. In fact, check it anyway

If none of this helps, I need to know which version of Word\Office you're using as well as anti-virus.

Edited by HitSquad, 06 August 2006 - 07:49 AM.

#5 mcguire1019

mcguire1019
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

Changing it to Normal.old seemed to work great!!! Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:46 AM

You're welcome.
Thanks for posting back. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users