Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"You need to format the disk in drive I: before you can use it"...HELP!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Arlothia

Arlothia

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

So every once in a while I get this tiny window with the message you see in the title of this topic. It asks me: "Do you want to format it?" with the options of "Format disk" or "cancel".
Now, this is my backup drive so I really don't want to format the disk because then all data on that drive will get deleted.
Also, when I go to "My Computer", the icon for that drive keeps disappearing and then reappearing, even after I've closed all of the popups.
Like I said, this doesn't happen every day, but on the occasion when it does it just keeps popping up again and again until I have dozens of the little popups open. And this drive has been plugged in to my computer for years now without being unplugged so it's not as if I'm introducing something to my computer that needs to be formatted. It should already be formatted!
How do I stop this stupid thing?! I rebooted my computer and so far that seems to have worked, but I would really like a permanent fix to this, or at least know why it's doing it.

Thank you!
~:A:~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

Rather than "stop" such warnings...I believe that you ought to pay closer attention to such and realize that such are indicative of a problem and prompt action may be required.  Shooting the messenger...will do nothing to prevent a negative event from happening nor will it effect a resolution of any problem.

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

#3 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

Sounds like your drive might be going bad. Should also check your event viewer to see if their any harddrive errors. if so, you need to think about getting a new external drive for backup, especially if you store other items on that drive.

#4 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:19 AM

If you have another computer, try plugging into that to see what it comes up with. 

If it comes up with the same thing, then your drive isn't working.

Unfortunately, if that happens there isn't a way to get your files. 

I would recommend backing it up online, aswell as getting a new drive for the files.

Hope this helps :) 

#5 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

So before I do any downloading (I'm very cautious of doing that after having gotten a few nasty viruses), I'm wondering why, if my drive is going bad, it would only show up only once in a while. It makes it seem more like a glitch than anything else...And it hasn't shown up since I rebooted my computer after the problem presented itself a few days ago.

My computer hasn't had any updates recently that might trigger it (as far as I know), and I can still access my files without any problems.

@MasterNe0, how do I go about checking my event viewer? I'm not very computer savvy. 

Thanks guys!

~:A:~

#6 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

If you want to open Event Viewer, press the Windows button and R, then type in Eventvwr.msc

This will open it up and you can do what you want on there.

Usually when a drive has failed, It will show up in the device list as "Mass Storage Device" or something like that, but will not be able to obtain any files from it. 

Hope this helps.

#7 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

@ckemp, I opened the Event Viewer...but how do I find if my drive is listed as a "Mass Storage Device"? I have no idea what to do with this thing or what I'm seeing exactly. Thanks!

#8 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

May I ask what operating system are you using? 

#9 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium

Edited by Arlothia, 24 April 2016 - 12:01 PM.

#10 ckemp

ckemp

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

Alright, plug in your dodgy drive, then after, press the Windows button and R, then type control printers 

It should show up with the drive somewhere on there with Mass Storage Device. 

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hamluis, at #2, asked you to supply a Speccy link, this would supply some hard data. I appreciate your concerns about downloading software willy-nilly but this download from BC is about as safe as it gets -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Follow his directions but make sure your external drive is connected before you run Speccy, then paste the URL into your next post.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 jammessok1

jammessok1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

Hey guys, don't run chkdsk if this is a result of hard drive damage, e.g. you dropped it. Chkdsk might further damage it. Try this, boot up into Ubuntu from a flash drive. Once logged in, plug in your hard drive & if you lucky you'd be able to access it. The error at times is as a result of windows not being able to read it in it's format so you need to try a different OS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users