Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wannabike

Wannabike

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

My computer checks for updates automatically but when I turn it off it tells me it cannot update and is deleting changes. It has also become very slow and at times when  I am playing games (Big Fish Games) it freezes. I made backup discs when I bought this computer and was thinking of putting everything back to the way it was when I bought it but I'm not sure how to do that, either. Can someone help, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

Please give more details of what sort of backup discs those are? If you're going to reset things to a previous state you'll need to make copies of certain files and put them on a USB before doing so, otherwise you'll lose everything that's newer than the backup discs. Before doing anything else get a USB stick, find all the files you care about and copy them to it.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Wannabike

Wannabike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

I made the discs when I first bought the computer. In the start-up instructions it said to back up the computer before doing anything else. My personal files are backed up. I thought that if I loaded the discs it would restore the computer files to what it was when I bought it. 

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:54 PM

I wouldn't use the backup discs just yet, and it would be helpful if you could post some more exact details about what they were. What were they made with, a windows tool from within control panel? a program from the computer's manufacturer? If they are windows recovery discs of this sort http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-usb-recovery-drive-in-windows-8/ http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/ then they won't be enough alone. Do you have any system images that you know of?

Can you describe the detail of those startup instructions more please, what did they specifically tell you to do to make the backup discs you talk of. To be able to advise on their use we'll need to know what precisely they are, what tool they were made with and such.

You might not have to use them though, when windows update becomes slow or buggy there are other fixes available, which might work better that resorting to wiping the system back to factory state.

Edited by rp88, 25 April 2016 - 03:55 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

In order to get a better idea of what is happening with your downloads please do the following.

Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Post the results in your topic.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

What is the make and model of this computer?

If you post this information I will post a link to the instructions for using the System Recovery partition.

Since manufacturers no longer provide a installation disc they create a System Recovery partition which will wipe the C: partition and reinstall Windows which will take this computer back to the condition it was in when it was shipped from the factory.  This will remove every thing that was added after the first time the computer was started.  Because of this you need to back up all of your important data to removable media, such as an external hdd, flash drive, cloud, DVDs, etc.  You will need to reinstall any programs that were installed from a disc or download.  If these were purchased downloads  site should have your email address which can be used to confirm the purchase of the program.  This should allow you to download the 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users