Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encrypted OS on flash drive? or dual boot?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 usvsthem

usvsthem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

Hi,

Been searching high and low but cant seem to find answers to my questions. Bear a complete newbie.

First I was looking into containers and such. The problem, if I've understood, is that data is sstill stored in temp- and swap-files. I want to be able to execute applications to, for exaple, edit Open Office textfiles, store sensetive links, pictures, hide web history and streamapplications.

The first action is ofcoure VPN, fire wall, anti-virus and anti-malware. No problems there.

Ofcoure I could encrypt my system drive (win 10). The issue though, is that I need to be able to quit the OS really fast incase of sudden search warrant and such. I'm on a laptop, so to just unplug it would be useless. And since I want to execute and run appliications I cant have temps and swaps.

Therefor, I'm wondering if it'd be possible to install and run OS on a USB drive? First thought is to run Ubuntu on the USB and encrypt it with the built-in tool.  If needed i could get an external hard drive (still USB-connected though) Could it be done? Any risks?

My other thought was to dualboot win 10 and ubuntu, but then I'd still have the same problem I suppose.

Sorry if I'n unclear, very confused.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

The issue though, is that I need to be able to quit the OS really fast incase of sudden search warrant and such.

The only reason to be afraid a search warrant might be served on you, is if you are engaged in something illegal.  That being so, you will receive no assistance here.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:22 AM

The issue though, is that I need to be able to quit the OS really fast incase of sudden search warrant and such.

The only reason to be afraid a search warrant might be served on you, is if you are engaged in something illegal.

I don't agree. I would say: "is if you are suspected of being engaged in something illegal".

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

We may agree to disagree on my choice of words but methinks the mere fact the OP didn't pursue the matter is quite telling...

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:07 PM

....The issue though, is that I need to be able to quit the OS really fast incase of sudden search warrant and such...

We appreciate you candor, however, can you elaborate on that statement and why the concern of a search warranted being executed?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users