Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mate-Kde-Xfcs which would be better for me

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:27 AM

While the first 2 are often discussed in the forum I hardly see anything about XFCS.

Is it just because it is too new or because more experienced users have long moved on to something else?

With my systems specs this Xfcs would seem to be a better fit for me.

Just curious.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

XFCS or XFCE?  You may want to take a look at Peppermint if you haven't.  It's ubuntu based, but they've tweaked things a be a bit better on resources.  I have it running on an old Compaq Presario V6000 (originally came with XindowsXP) with an  Intel Centrio Duo (2 cores, one of their first gen mobile CPUs) 2 GB RAM, I stuck in an 80GB SSD that the BIOS would recognize.  It loaded up and works just fine, doesn't get too hot, wireless works fine.  Currently running Peppermint 6, 32 bit on it.

XFCE is a desktop environment, like KDE/GNOME/etc.  It uses fewer resources, I think it's a cleaner interface that most of the others.  But I'm old school, so I don't like all the flashy, spinning, noisy effects that seem to be common now.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

My bad a typo. I meant XFCE lol.  I am old school also. An OS should be an OS, a Cell Phone should be just a phone etc etc.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:42 AM

My bad a typo. I meant XFCE lol.  I am old school also. An OS should be an OS, a Cell Phone should be just a phone etc etc.

Exactly my reason for not going with Peppermint. I want things on my PC not on the cloud.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

XFCE is just another desktop, not too complicated but it is there.

XFCE is very stable though, its the most stable linux desktop out there due to it being unchanged by moves to GTK3 like gnome did.

In fact the only bad thing about it is that we honestly dont know how long it will last, there are outside pressures wanting it to go GTK3.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

Peppermint you can disable all the cloudy stuff (I did) and it works just fine.

XFCE:  outside people wanting the developers to move to use of GTK3 internally?  Heck you want that, then fork the project.  Or if XFCE mainline moves to GTK3, then snapshot the last non GTK3 release and that's the baseline for a fork.  Outside people can try and pressure the project as much as they want but until they are willing to pony up $$$ to fund the development, the project can simply "take it under advisement".  That's the executive summary of how open source works.  

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:10 PM

Mate! because cat says so lol.  cat1092 has been using and testing this thing out for many years, and it works with most everything one needs.  I trust his judgment for sure! and it is the first that he suggested to me.  I ran it for a while and learned enough to make a move to a different flavor KDE.  Also remember, every time you Re-Install you are putting more miles on that Drive. 

But now that you are up and running I would not bother with all of that unless you were otherwise advised by one of the Advisors Moderators etc. here for some reason.  Cinnamon is nice!  Use it for as long as you can and try not messing it up.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

With my systems specs this Xfcs would seem to be a better fit for me.

Yes, Mint XFCE would be the best fit for your computer, of the options you listed, based on your hardware. Keep in mind that, it's easiest to help people if they are using the same OS as you, and as you've pointed out, not many (if any) members here are currently using Mint XFCE.

#9 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:29 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is all these different desktop environments run on Linux.   :devil:   I'm not positive, but I'm fairly confident that for whatever you are running now, you can download the xfce4 environment and give it a try (think of it like putting on a different tie with the same suit).  Fire up your package manager and search for xfce and see what shows up, you will probably not have to download and reinstall.  If you find what I think you'll find, all you should need to do is install it, log out, log back in but look for a method to change your "session" (usually on the login screen).

#10 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

I would advise Xfce or Mate but if you've already installed another version (DE) and it works for you... why change?

If you want to change, you could always just install an extra DE, like mremski said...

On my second machine (second PC in signature) I have run Mint 17 Xfce before I moved to Peppermint. Nothing wrong with it, I had zero problems on that machine! It's a bit "simple" out of the box but customization is fairly easy.

And because Peppermint was mentioned in this thread I feel obligated to give some extra info...

Peppermint isn't a cloud orientated OS in a compulsory way like Chrome OS is, although it can be used in that way...
It's a lightweight desktop/laptop OS that has few programs installed out of the box and it contains an Ice application which is able to make SSB's (Site Specific Browsers). Google Chrome, Chromium and Firefox are supported.

Peppermint 6 has a mixed DE which is a highly customized version of LXDE built on Xfwm4 (Xfce) window manager with Nemo as file explorer for better desktop management. I myself even added kwin (KDE) to the mix on my primary system...

Greets!

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

KDE, Kubuntu rocks and I hate to say it but it almost looks like Windows, I think your PC would easily handle it.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

Well I thought I had finally downloaded a ISO successfully using the download them all add-on. But not only the ISO is gone but so is the add-on

What a waste of a half a day.lol

All that is left to do tonight is " Good night Gracie"

Later folks.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:14 PM

Sorry to hear, you'll get the hang of it.  Unusual that DTA would be gone?  Did you go to add-ons > then Extensions, to see if it was there, it's actually in the Extension category.  Did you also look in the Downloads Folder in the File Manager.  Or did you see where it choose to download it by Default, I just assume it is the Downloads Folder.  

You can also look at the Download History to see if something did not go right?  The best way would be to have the Menu Bar installed at the Top.  Right Click > Check the "Menu Bar" to install Menu Bar.  Then  >Tools > DownThemAll! Tools > Manager, to see all your downloads.  Don't worry, it took me a while to figure it out also, longer than you will lol.  Hope that helps.

If the download was paused because of a bad connection it will start up again the next time you boot up.  I've only seen this happen once so can't tell you what to look for.  Probably see a little DTA Icon somewhere in the upper right corner?

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:13 PM

A little more information on this. The ISO completed the dl, I verified the dl [checked the hash] all was good it did take 2 hrs. tho but I left it alone to finish.

DTA worked flawlessly, I paused and restarted it and it resumed the dl on que like it was supposed to.

DTA adds itself to the DL folder and the save menu. Also adds a little icon next to the dl arrow. History shows I installed it and when.

I had to leave for a few hours and came back and decided to add the ISO to a USB thumb drive and the ISO was just gone. So also is DTA, nowhere to be found.

Lol I was so mad I went to bed.

#15 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:34 PM

Peppermint you can disable all the cloudy stuff (I did) and it works just fine.

Peppermint isn't a cloud orientated OS in a compulsory way like Chrome OS is, although it can be used in that way...

+1 i run Peppermint 6 on a Toshiba Satellite A105 (2006) and it runs flawlessly.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users