Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Help for Selected Programs Only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UHackedMe

UHackedMe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:42 PM

Greetings every, first let me admit what a Brainless Idiot I am with Computers. I'm running Vista 64bit INSPIRON 15 DELL laptop, and me being the brainless idiot that I am can not figure out if I can do a backup targeting all my paid programs that I am the owner of along with my email contacts. I want to copy and paste all of this if possible or be taught how to do it the correct way. My comprehension gets screwed up at times trying to understand. I have always been a hands-on guy with everything. What I know I retain but this is not an easy method because it takes a lot of time to train this way.

My computer is running like crap, so slow that I give it a command and check it in the morning when I get up. I want to save all my good programs that would be backed up and format the rest of the drive and reload. I'm tired of being stupid and want to learn how to maintenance my computer when needed to keep it running right. I'm retired on disability and when awake I want to learn. I know it's a tough challenge but I am determined to get all of this.<<<<<<I tried to edit this Post twice but it truncated my last sentence. This will have to be good enough. Hope to hear from somebody who has a good idea how I can work this. Thanks. If this post needs to be moved tell me what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

There are a number of programs which can be used to back up your license keys...

• Belarc Advisor produces a very comprehensive report of your system.  Among the information presented, are license keys for installed programs.
  • LicenseCrawler is a portable program which produces a report of all licenses and serial numbers stored in the registry.
  • Produkey is another portable program which retrieves license keys for Windows and other Microsoft produces, e.g. MS Office.

Note, I have only ever used Produkey, so I can't say how well the Belarc Advisor and LicenseCrawler works.  My advice would be to run all three programs since it wouldn't hurt.  You may also want to do a comparison of the keys found by each program.  Also, keep in mind that some products may not be able to retrieve all keys, e.g. keys that aren't stored in the registry.

#3 UHackedMe

UHackedMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

There are a number of programs which can be used to back up your license keys...

• Belarc Advisor produces a very comprehensive report of your system.  Among the information presented, are license keys for installed programs.
  • LicenseCrawler is a portable program which produces a report of all licenses and serial numbers stored in the registry.
  • Produkey is another portable program which retrieves license keys for Windows and other Microsoft produces, e.g. MS Office.

Note, I have only ever used Produkey, so I can't say how well the Belarc Advisor and LicenseCrawler works.  My advice would be to run all three programs since it wouldn't hurt.  You may also want to do a comparison of the keys found by each program.  Also, keep in mind that some products may not be able to retrieve all keys, e.g. keys that aren't stored in the registry.

Agouti,

I will check them all out and really appreciate your help. I have been putting this off for a long time, not sure what path I wanted to go down. I'm a retired Boilermaker Local 112 in addition to being a Certified Pipe Welder and Certified Welding Inspector. In the middle of all of this, I taught several modules of SAP for maintenance, designed to retire. You didn't have to be an IT for SAP, just follow the directions. I would image by now that SAP is light years past anything I knew. 

Again, thank you,

Paul Greenlee

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:08 AM

Concerning making restorable backups, I recommend:  weekly, bi-monthly, making at least one if not two full images of OS and data partitions onto at least one if not two usb external hard-drives.  As you clean up your computer, each set of full images will contain your latest greatest Windows sessions that are more to your liking.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users