Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Killed 2 computers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slater23

slater23

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hi,  :hello:  I am new to this forum, but I have gotten a lot of useful software from here to fix an earlier PC, I thought this would be a good place to ask.

last Thursday 4/14/2016. I turned off my work computer and it said windows was updating. so I let it run as I have many times in the past. and figured it would power off when done.  I got to work on Friday. 4/15/2016 and I started up the computer and windows would not start.  all I was getting was a blinking cursor in the top left hand of the monitor. I called our IT Tech Support Firm, tried doing a repair on the BIOS, there was nothing there to fix. I tried to do some other boot options, none would work. they send a tech out and he determined that my hard drive had failed.  not knowing how old this PC was I thought OK might be,  so installed a new hard drive. did fresh install of windows 7, office. and retrieved my backups and all went well.  they advised me that seeing how this was a fresh install, that this computer would prompt me to run windows update,   yesterday on 4/19/2016, The box kept popping up do I want to run windows update now? I kept postponing it so it would do it after I left work,  I got to work this morning. 4/20/2016. and again. blinking cursor. or cannot find disk to boot windows.  :crazy:  I was baffled.  did I just kill two hard drives in less then a week?  my co-workers have run the latest windows updates and no issues.  I called the IT guys again. we tried to  change some things in the BIOS, nothing. disconnected all my USB devices. left only the monitor on.  still nothing, tried to boot from a windows 7 disk, got to the screen where it said repair windows.  got an error message that this version of windows was incompatible with the windows that was installed. even though it was the same disk that was installed on Friday. :crazy:

I am at a loss. I have never been able to kill two computers in a week, there is an anti virus on the system, A version of Kaspersky 3? I don't remember right now. but I only do work related things on that PC, due to a previous employer who would track everything I did. so I am hesitant to do anything other then work to avoid any issues with my current employer.   any advice on what this could possibly be the reason that this keeps happening after a windows update? and why only after it runs windows update?  My employer asked me if I knew why this happened. and all I could think off was there was a hardware issue that after windows updated that it didn't like and would not boot up.

Thank you in advance for any guidance. :scratchhead:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

Without any system data...it's hard for me to imagine a problem diagnosis, let alone a solution of any sort.

I will say that your assertion that Windows Update is the prime suspect...seems to be slightly off-target.  If that were true, there would be widespread reports on the Web inedicating similar situations/circumstances.

Louis

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

I agree with Louis.  I've been running Windows Update on 5 PCs at home and 28 I support since 1998 and never once have I seen a case where Windows Update caused a system failure.  If you've run registry cleaners or installed bootleg software, applied registry patches, or done things of that ilk, that's where you need to look for the root cause of the problem IMO.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:16 PM

I do believe Louis & Niweg are correct

You have 2 scenarios now

From the first problem, do you still have that hard drive?

Although the tech determined that the hard drive failed, is there a way you can test that hard drive on another computer?

On the second problem you did a fresh install of Windows 7

On the “tried to boot from a windows 7 disk”, when you say “a windows 7 disk” that concerns me because we need to know whether or not it’s the correct disc that’s for your computer even though it appeared to install ok.

--- With all of that said though, It might not be always necessary but I believe Windows Updates should be allowed to be installed without waiting

In my opinion, I doubt you killed 2 hard drives: the first one probably was bad but check it out if you can; but breaking a 2nd hard drive that is new – that is highly unlikely

#5 slater23

slater23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

I do believe Louis & Niweg are correct

You have 2 scenarios now

From the first problem, do you still have that hard drive?

Although the tech determined that the hard drive failed, is there a way you can test that hard drive on another computer?

Cmptrgy, Yes I do have the old hard drive, all I know is the IT guy who came down, hooked up a cable to it and plugged it into his laptop and it showed no boot sectors? basically the hard drive was unreadable was what I was told. I do however have another person who can test it for me as well and give me a clearer answer.

On the second problem you did a fresh install of Windows 7

On the “tried to boot from a windows 7 disk”, when you say “a windows 7 disk” that concerns me because we need to know whether or not it’s the correct disc that’s for your computer even though it appeared to install ok.

Cmptrgy, I do not know, all I know about the two PC's where they were built by a local IT guy who the company no longer uses. so, was this the original Disk?  I cannot say. 

--- With all of that said though, It might not be always necessary but I believe Windows Updates should be allowed to be installed without waiting

That was the weird part, it kept asking me if I wished to postpone the installation of the updates. and I kept doing it, I had never seen that before.  It was all strange.  I guess when that box popped up like it did I should have called the IT Guys, but I thought maybe as it was an original installation then perhaps the first version did this?  not sure.

In my opinion, I doubt you killed 2 hard drives: the first one probably was bad but check it out if you can; but breaking a 2nd hard drive that is new – that is highly unlikely

I don't think I did either, I also do not visit any suspicious sites as this is a work computer. and I use Firefox which will block me out if the website has an out of date certificate.

I agree with Louis.  I've been running Windows Update on 5 PCs at home and 28 I support since 1998 and never once have I seen a case where Windows Update caused a system failure.  If you've run registry cleaners or installed bootleg software, applied registry patches, or done things of that ilk, that's where you need to look for the root cause of the problem IMO.

I did not do any of the above things.  messing with the registry is just bad news when you don't know. so I stay away from Regedit.

The question is what do I do now? I was supposed to be getting a new PC today. but I was in class all day and I was not at work. the office manager was going to get it all setup for me. I know there is a kaspersky anti virius on it. is there something else I should do to check for an issue?  Its like I am scared of windows update now. I agree with Louis, if this was a widespread microsoft problem it would be all over the net.   any advice would be appreciated, and I thank those who replied with their more experienced knowledge.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:40 PM

It's been a while since I've done a fresh install but I believe it's possible to postpone Windows Updates: I just do not like to take that option. 

Since your doing a fresh install it isn't necessary to have the original disc, it's necessary to have a disc that will do the fresh install

--- Make sure you know the 25 character product key either way: original OS disc or a new OS disc.

Since you have an IT department they should be able to help you

--- I want to believe they diagnosed the hard drive failure properly but I believe they should be doing the fresh install since its a company computer

But since the computer was built by someone else, maybe the issue is with the computer itself and your present IT person should be involved on what's going on

#7 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

your IT guy should also be able to run a diagnostic tool on the drive itself from the manufacturer if you think the drives are going bad using a boot cd or one of those external harddrive connectors and running the diagnostics that way.

Also certain manufacturer of desktops (like dells and HPs) have built-in diagnostic hardware tools you can run to see if it detects errors on the drive. they can help with figuring out if the drives are bad.

You can boot into them by pressing the F12 key on the bios loadup screen usually and selecting diagnostics.

Edited by MasterNe0, 22 April 2016 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users