Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't turn off internet explorer 11 pop-up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 bewley

bewley

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:24 PM

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with an annoying little problem, to get rid of a repeating Microsoft pop-up which doesn't respond when I click on it.

About a week ago, when I opened Internet Explorer there was a pop-up window entitled 'Internet Explorer 11 - Choose your home page and search settings'. [see attached picture].

I duly chose to keep my current settings, and clicked 'Done'. But nothing happened. The window did not respond to my clicking so I had to close it. The pop-up window now reappears every time I open Internet Explorer, but it still never responds when I click 'Done'.

I can change the settings between 'Microsoft settings' and 'Your current settings' but clicking 'Done' achieves nothing. It also doesn't respond if I click the 'Click here to learn more' link.

The only way I can close the window is to click the red X close button in the top-right corner. However, this presumably doesn't save my (unchanged) settings in the way that Microsoft want, so the pop-up just reappears every time I open IE.

The window appears to be a genuine Microsoft window from when IE11 launched. From my research, it seems a recent update KB3148198 has made the pop-up reappear for a number of people. So, I don't think it's a virus or malware, but I can find no record of anyone having the same problem I've got.

So, does anyone know how I can get the 'Done' button to work? I suspect that if I can just click 'Done' and have it recognised, Microsoft will be satisfied and stop displaying the annoying pop-up window.

I have a Dell XPS with Windows 7 Home Premium 2009 - V6.1 (Build 3601; Service Pack 1).

Internet Explorer 11, Version: 11.0.9600.18282, Update Versions: 11.0.30 (KB3148198)

Many thanks,

Bewley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

You forgot to attach the picture.

#3 bewley

bewley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:34 AM

Apologies, I did attach it originally but the site crashed so I had to retype everything. Must've forgotten to reattach it then.

Attached Files

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

Unfortunately, if a Windows update caused the issue, your only recourse is to report it to Microsoft and hope they will fix it soon.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:00 AM

OP has not posted since 21 April 2016, topic cloased to prevent more posting by members who should initiate their own topics.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users