Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk drive no longer works after Ubuntu install.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

Greetings,

I have a Lenovo 3000 G530, with Ubuntu 14.04 installed. This system, used to have Windows 7 Ultimate installed as the OS, and I immediately noticed that the disk drive no longer works, after the installation of Ubuntu. I do not have a dual boot setup, and the only hardware that I have replaced, was the installation of an SSD, in place of the HDD. The disk drive worked, when Windows was installed, and I have used the software and updates feature, to search for any additional drivers, but with no luck. Could someone please help me troubleshoot this issue? This is a X64 system, and I do not see any Linux software, for this model, on the Lenovo website. Any assistance, is much appreciated. Thank you, very much, for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

I am assuming you are talking about the cd/dvd disk drive correct?

If so, if you pop in a dvd or cd and open the file browser you do not see any new devices pop up on the left hand side of the viewer? A lot of times you don't get an automatic pop up in Linux like you do in windows. So it might be there, just not showing you when you pop in a disk like you would except with Windows.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

I am assuming you are talking about the cd/dvd disk drive correct?

If so, if you pop in a dvd or cd and open the file browser you do not see any new devices pop up on the left hand side of the viewer? A lot of times you don't get an automatic pop up in Linux like you do in windows. So it might be there, just not showing you when you pop in a disk like you would except with Windows.

Indeed, Linux does not use CD/DVD drives like the way windows does.

Now if this is referring to another hard disk we could see where the issue may come from.

Also it is possible that the CD/DVD drive died, had that happen to me once or twice and thought at first it could have been linux but found it was on its way out anyhow

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:48 AM

Is the OP asking about a hard drive or some kind of DVD drive? If a DVD drive, are you familiar with the file structure used in Linux? If a hard drive you should be able to see it in the left hand pane.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:00 AM

Hello all,

I apologize for any confusion. I was asking about the CD/DVD drive. Since posting the original question, the drive refuses to even open on its own, and the LED indicator no longer lights up. I believe that this drive is now dead. I automatically jumped to the conclusion of Linux, having something to do with it, due to the recent install. I will have to order another drive, and see if that fixes the issue. Thank you, for all of the replies.

Kindest regards

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:32 AM

Obviously this is a hardware issue, but before replacing the drive I would try:

!) Disconnecting then reconnecting the cables going to the drive.
2) Replacing the cables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users