Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modern Windows Networking is a Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 i_am_jim

i_am_jim

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

In the good ol' days you just hooked up your network and once everything was connected every computer could access the others on the network.  For home networking no passwords are needed (unless maybe you're hiding your affair with Charlotte from your wife).  But, to accommodate companies who have a need for secure access Microsoft has slowly made once simple home networking into a full fledged nightmare.   I had the original IBM PC and have had many computers since and assembled my last five or six from a custom selection of components.  I'm pretty savvy for a person who has only used home computers.  Friends and neighbors call on me to get their computers working. But, if they say the word network, I turn and run.  I was able to get XP working but that's the last.

I got my latest computer (Win8) about 2 years ago and gave my wife my Win7 computer.  I had tried to get two friends' Win8-Win7 networked and gave up.  And when I tried to get my own connected I ran into the same problems.  All of these were through a router.  After many hours of beating my head against it I somehow got them to share selected folders only.  I have encountered the need to share a new folder and since the process was so arcane and seemed to be hit and miss and it was two years ago, I can no longer remember how I did it. 

One of the friends I gave up on, hired a (presumably) competent tech to connect them.  After spending 6-8 hours trying unsuccessfully.  He concluded it required a complete wipe and load of the Windows 8 box.  Still he never got it working.

Is there any way or any device that will let me connect my two computer directly together, with no folderol, like I did in the old days?

Edited by i_am_jim, 20 April 2016 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:02 AM

I don't think that your issue is connecting the computers together.  A router is the easiest way to connect computers or devices together.  You issue is sharing things in Windows.

Personally using the Simple Windows Sharing has always caused issues for me and I use the Advanced sharing that gives me more control, but requires account passwords, which is normally a show stopper for most people.

What do you want to share?  If it is files a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device might be what you're looking for.

Here is Microsoft's explanation on how to share files, it is for Windows 7, but should be similar for Windows 10.

#3 i_am_jim

i_am_jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, there's no question this is a Windows issue.  I know the computers are connected because many folders are accessible from Win8 to Win7 and vice-versa.  I now find the need to have a set of files located on one computer (preferably Win8) such that the application associated with these files, installed on both machines, can access and modify the files from either machine.

This arrangement is working for some files, for example the Win8 machine can load and modify image files on the Win7 machine using Photoshop and the and the Win7 machine can load and modify Word files on the Win8 machine.  I need to add this ability for another application.  As it is, after starting the application on Win7 I can navigate to the folder containing the fileset on Win8 but when I try to load them I get a message something like You do not have access to the folder blah, blah. See your administrator.  While the Word documents, which are accessible, are in an adjacent folder in this same folder.  The folder in question is marked Share with everyone read/write.

Edited by i_am_jim, 21 April 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

"the application associated with these files, installed on both machines, can access and modify the files from either machine.

This has to be a feature of the application.  The old days of sharing a app via ms sharing are long gone.  Word files and pictures are not necessarily tied to an application which is why you can open them in multiple programs.

The access denied message is most likely the application holding its files as locked.

What is the application?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users