Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darin A

Darin A

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

Not sure which is the correct forum for this as it spans multiple pieces of equipment, but I will start here.  I am looking to store all my media on a network drive.  Here is the set up I would like to use.  A WD Myclould 2TB WDBCTL0020HWT connected to my router and 1 or more WD Mybook 4TB WDBFJK0040HBK USB drives connected through usb hub.  My questions are can the built in WD DLC software stream to PS3 and Sony Bluray players and if so how will that software handle the other drives connected to the Myclould drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

The PS3 supports DLNA on the MyCloud drive (I believe that is what you meant by DLC), the Sony Bluray player will depend on the model. The WD Mybook  does not have DLNA or the twonky media server from Western Digital. If your Router supports DLNA or has media server software then you could stream from your WD Mybook. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Darin A

Darin A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

I am refering to the USB port on the back of the MyCloud.  could the MyClouds media server read the MyBook from its USB port?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:37 PM

Then It Should, According to Western Digital You can Expand the storage by plugging a "Compatible USB 3.0" drive in the USB port. It does not say what is or is not Compatible.  :unsure:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 April 2016 - 01:38 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Darin A

Darin A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

correct thats my problem, just trying to be sure the media center portion of it will recognize and access the other drive.  Was hoping to verify before spending the money but may have to try and see.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:42 PM

I would think it will work, the WD Mybook doesn't have anything special.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users