Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAN/ethernet port defective?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

Mods, please forgive me if I put this in the wrong section.

I think I've diagnosed this correctly, but I thought I'd ask in case I've missed something.

Someone has brought in what appears to be a hand built, non-commercial desktop PC.  It has a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P motherboard.  The reason it was brought in is no internet access.  It shows no connections with no connections available.  I know the internet connection coming from the Ethernet cable is good.  In the Ethernet port on the back of the motherboard it does not light up.  Device manager, even when refreshed, does not show an Ethernet nor LAN device at all. SPECCY program does not find nor identify one.  Just for grins I went to the motherboards website, downloaded and installed drivers...nothing.

I'm pretty sure it is a motherboard issue, though when Windows 7 boots it gives alerts about it possibly being a pirated copy of Windows...but it appears he has been using it for a while.  He didn't tell me about that issue and I'm not able to get hold of him about it.  I don't see how that is preventing the Ethernet/LAN port from functioning.  I did check BIOS settings and all looked ok.

The USB ports on the back of the PC work, so I think the simplest and least expensive solution is a USB-Ethernet adapter.  Once I get it on-line I can re-enter the product code key from the sticker to see if Windows activates.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

Most likely a bad Ethernet Port but to verify boot a live linux distro like Fatdog64. If you get lights and can connect then you have a Windows issue.

Fatdog64-702.iso

You can back up activation files using Advanced Token Manager. It may be an error causing Microsoft to say the OS is not genuine. At least it would give you a backup should you need it.

#3 busdriver72

busdriver72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

Good idea, I've got a bootable OS disk that I will let me do that.

Thanks for the input!

#4 busdriver72

busdriver72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:35 AM

Booted from bootable disc...yep...no network device found.

Thanks.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

No Problem, I did look at the MB manual. On page 29 (Integrated Peripherals) there is a setting to disable the LAN function. Does it show as disabled in BIOS?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 April 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#6 busdriver72

busdriver72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:23 AM

I did check the LAN setting in the BIOS, it does show "enabled."

Upon doing more research I have found instances of hardware changes (including defects) can actually affect the Windows activation status, especially if it involves something in the networking/address area.  As far as I know no actual hardware (including the motherboard) has been changed out, so I'm hoping the product code key on the Win7 sticker on the side panel will work.

I appreciate your help, John.  

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

Using the sticker ID you will need to do a phone activation. That can be accomplished by opening the run box and typing slui.exe 4.

http://www.geckoandfly.com/6932/how-to-activate-windows-7-via-phone-activation-slui-exe-4-client/

From what I recall you are allowed to change a number of hardware items on the computer outside of the MB before the computer needs to be reactivated.

If the customer still wants to use Ethernet then perhaps a USB to Ethernet adapter would suffice. I have used one successfully. From the MB specs it looks like it only has USB 2. That would essentially limit the adapter to 10/100 speeds.

#8 busdriver72

busdriver72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

Oh yes...good ol' phone activation...always fun.

Yeah, the adapter should do okay.  It will meet his needs at a decent price.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:35 AM

If you have trouble with the phone activation and you live in the US( I see you live in Texas) call (888) 571-2048 and wait for a live person.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 April 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#10 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:39 PM

I had that happen on a Dell PC once.  Onboard ethernet worked for a while, eventually stopped (rebooting sometimes it would fail to initialize).  It was still under warranty so Dell had someone replace the MB.  It worked, for a while, but the confidence in the hardware was way down.  Cold solder joints, bad caps, etc all make things fail.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#11 busdriver72

busdriver72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

Got the USB Ethernet adapter in.  Connected, installed drivers...works fine.  Upon getting back on-line I went into computer properties and tried just activating Windows.  It activated fine.

Thanks for all the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users