Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of internet connection! Ethernet cable plugged in & says I'm connected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bluefox76

Bluefox76

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

I have no internet connection.  My computer (desktop, Windows 10 and connected via Ethernet) showed that I was connected to the internet, but when I attempted to open my browser, it said it could not find the server. My Kindle and my laptop (which are wireless) also could not connect and Google Chrome stated that it could not find the DNS.  Windows 10 and Windows 7 both gave a diagnosis in troubleshooting that there was connectivity problems with the broadband router. 

I phoned Verizon (who are on strike right now) all cords and connections are fit snugly into their inputs and my bbu is fine. Their tech support had me unplug and re-plug in the router. Then do a factory reset.. nothing changed.  I have a Verizon ActionTec MI424WR Rev 1 router. The internet light and the WAN Ethernet lights on the front of the router are not lit. The only lights on the display that are lit are for the Power, the LAN Ethernet light and the Wireless light. I have phone, TV and internet thru Verizon and only the internet is not functioning.

I've seen this problem listed as solved on other forums, but none of the solutions apply to my situation. I've tried changing network adapters, ipconfig/renew, flush, etc.. all those command prompts listed on other forums. Verizon says they can't get anyone out here for a week due to the strike and that the visit may be chargeable if they decide the issue is on my end. Any suggestions? Is their a scan I can run and post the info back here?

PS..
We had an issue like this at my office last year and the IT guy they called in gave us each a IP address and DNS to enter manually and then everything worked.. it didn't really fix whatever the issue was (still don't know) but at least we could get online and that's all they cared about. Would that work in this situation?  To me, it seems as though we aren't getting the signal from Verizon into the router and out of the router into the computer. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

This sounds like the same issue here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611675/lost-internet-connection-after-silencing-alarm-on-verizon-bbu/.  You also have a reply to that topic.  Please do not create multiple threads for the same topic.

#3 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

I wonder what would happen if you used the Google Public DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 in your adapter IPv4 configuration?

#4 Bluefox76

Bluefox76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

I didn't know that Google had a public DNS..  unfortunately, I had to wait for Verizon to come out.. they took 2 days before they decided to just replace all my equipment and start from scratch. They couldn't figure out the problem. Thanks to anyone who tried to help.

PS.. The reason I created a new post is because of the crappy response I received from the first one. it's not helping to tell me to wait for Verizon. That's why I came here. That's like telling other posters, hey, you should call Geek Squad.  I was told that the BBU had nothing to do with my issue. After receiving the useless response, I created a new thread and left the BBU issue out hoping to get some help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users