Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accounts - how to do things with Android smartphone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

Slightly different than my other posted questions...

Is having a google account necessary for using an android o.s. smartphone and can cell phone calls, text messaging, and email be handled on such a smartphone WITHOUT google account, and without Gmail account?    Android is a product of Google, so that's why I ask.  

If during phone setup, I have no Google account and decide never to use or register one, could I still use the smartphone for calls, text messaging, and (Yahoo, AOL) email?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

You can use an android device without a Google Account. However you will have a difficult time maintaining app updates or even getting the newest apps from Goggle play store. By not using Google Play you leave yourself open to malware with much more ease. If you use 3rd party Android app hosts.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:15 PM

Should a person register a google account to be dedicated just for the use of his smartphone?  Can the person switch his smartphone to a different google account later, if he already has more than one such google account?

SHOULD a person sign-in to his smartphone in some way using a google account the way we are told we should do with Windows 10 on a "PC" computer?  

Is the purpose of the google account for a smartphone only for the use and updating of "apps" which are downloaded and installed through Google Play Store?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:34 PM

I won't address the 'should' questions. That is a decision you'll need to weigh out for yourself. As I don't know your situation or specific needs and requirements.

No you can't switch google accounts once you activate that account with the handset. At least I am unaware of any method to do so as of this reply. No the google account is not solely for use with Google Play. It's also used for any baked in Google apps or functionality you wish to use or access on the device that require a Google account.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:59 PM

Without understanding any more deeply, I would activate a smartphone (for myself) without using nor entering a google account.   I do have a google account, but I would not put it into the activation of the prospective smartphone.  The purpose for the smartphone would be cellular phone voice calls, text messages, maybe email using Yahoo and AOL, maybe voicemail, internet searchs and browsing such as for using the google maps site.  For internet purposes, I would use wifi when available, and the cellular plan's data service otherwise.  

Maybe something can be said regarding my use of "should" in the question.  

No intention yet decided about looking for or downloading & installing any "apps".  I would assume what I would need is already built in to the smartphone.

Now I have the impression that a person SHOULD register a separate gmail/google account dedicated specifically for the use of the smartphone - but I just do not like the idea that some big mysterious organization will have more of my personal information; just another identity protection risk.  The cellular service airtime provider would already be given that information.

I wonder how my data is used if activating the smartphone with including a google account.  Is any of it, like my name, displayed from my google account when someone receives a phone(cellular) call from me?  Maybe I want it displayed, or maybe I do not want it to be displayed.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:24 AM

Without understanding any more deeply, I would activate a smartphone (for myself) without using nor entering a google account.

Good.  You would discover the answers to your questions more quickly and easily that we can explain.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Is any of it, like my name, displayed from my google account when someone receives a phone(cellular) call from me? Maybe I want it displayed, or maybe I do not want it to be displayed.

Whats displayed during a call works the same way caller ID works on a landline. It's the account information you provide to the mobile carrier. It has nothing to do with your Google account. If you don't wish to allow your mobile information to be displayed on a call you block that information using the features of the mobile carrier like adding *67 before the phone number being called.

The Google account is for use with the baked in smart phone/internet Google based features. It has nothing to do with the actual telephonic calling capability. Just as with a feature phone that only calls and texts of a few years ago there was no Google account. Adding the Android OS is where Google comes into play. Hope that explains a bit more of the two halves of a whole 'smart' phone.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users