Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

External Drive, folder is "corrupted and unreadable"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hekainu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

I have an external WD My Passport Ultra, 1Tb drive. A particular folder on the drive is no longer accessible and I receive the prompt "H:/ Folder is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". The other folders on the drive appear to be accessible and the files are accessible. The folder is quite large, approximately 290Gb. The glitch occured when the drive was left plugged into a laptop overnight with a video file on the drive playing. For a brief period I was able to view the subfolders within the main folder but could not access the contents but now I cannot get past the parent folder.

Looking at other forums I've tried running chkdsk f: /r but receive the prompt "Cannot open volume for direct access"

I'm assuming (hoping) that the actual contents of the folder aren't affected but the folder itself is inaccessible.

Any advice and suggestions for recovering the files or fixing the folder would be appreciated.

I'm running Windows 10 on Intel i7

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,013 posts
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

See if the folder can be accessed offline using a live linux distro such as Fatdog64. Burn the iso and boot to the Fatdog Desktop. Attach your USB external. A USB icon will appear next to your hard drive partitions which are labeled sdaX. Click once on the USB icon and the USB external should mount and a File Manager will open. You only need to click once to open a folder. Fatdog64-702.iso

Fatdog should boot on a SecureBoot computer. If not disable SecureBoot if your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10. 

If you can access the folder post back and I will give instruction on copying the folder you another external or your hard drive. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users