Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Satellite Boot Loop w/ dead Keyboard & Touchpad

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hateway

hateway

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

Toshiba Satellite 15.6-Inch Touch Screen Laptop (S55T-B5282)

Found laptop in Advanced Startup options with the CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK buttons lit but unresponsive and touchpad dead as well. Plugged in USB keyboard and mouse, backed up data in safe mode, factory reset, but still CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK buttons lit but unresponsive and touchpad dead. Naturally the warranty expired in Jan. 2016. Trolling the Toshiba community forum, lots of chatter about this but no real resolution. I don't see anything in the BIOS either. Suggestions? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

If you can access safe mode using a USB keyboard and mouse can you do a System Restore to a date before the problem? If you have not backed up data on the desktop after the restore date move it to My Documents before doing the System Restore.

#3 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

Thanks, but your point is moot since I have run the factory reset. Prior to that, System Restore yielded no results.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:07 AM

So a factory reset yielded the same results? Boot a live linux disk and if you get the same result then this is most likely a motherboard issue.

#5 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

So a factory reset yielded the same results? Boot a live linux disk and if you get the same result then this is most likely a motherboard issue.

Do you mean like a full Linux distro, or could I use Mini Xp on a Hiren's usb? Thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

Hirens miniXP should work but it has not been updated in awhile and you would need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI or it will not boot. If you get the same issue then try a linux distro. Fatdog64 is good as it works with UEFI and it up to date. It's about 200MB. It is able to boot with SecureBoot enabled but if you have a problem try disabling SecureBoot. If you have a setting in UEFI called fastboot or quickboot I would disable it also.

Fatdog64-702.iso

#7 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:04 AM

Hirens miniXP should work but it has not been updated in awhile and you would need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI or it will not boot. If you get the same issue then try a linux distro. Fatdog64 is good as it works with UEFI and it up to date. It's about 200MB. It is able to boot with SecureBoot enabled but if you have a problem try disabling SecureBoot. If you have a setting in UEFI called fastboot or quickboot I would disable it also.

Fatdog64-702.iso

Thanks very much! I will give it a whirl

#8 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

Try as I may, even disabling SecureBoot, it won't boot to the USB. Bypasses it every time. Any other ideas?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:32 AM

Use Fatdog which can boot UEFI with SecureBoot enabled. I would also use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive.

Attach the USB flash drive and tap F12 at boot to give you the boot menu where you select your boot device. If you have not tapped F12 to boot Hirens try that.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-8-8-1-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Accessing-the-Boot-Menu-on-a-Windows-8-computer/ta-p/346858

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users