Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Admin on W10?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:56 AM

I know this has been asked before, but I cannot find the post?

So can anyone please explain in simple terms how I can remove myself as the admin  on my W10 laptop and replace my admin startup with my daughters details, so that she becomes the new admin and the laptop uses her Microsoft account when starting up?

I have no idea how to do this, so any help would be welcome!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:42 AM

I'm going to keep my eyes on this thread because I had to do this before and the way that I did it wasn't easy.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

Just create a new admin account in your daughter's name then delete your account.

#4 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Agouti, but how do I do that? Where in settings? What do I select please?

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

Open the "Control Panel --> User Accounts" click Manage another account at next screen double click your daughter user account. At next screen click Change the account type to set your daughter user account type to Administrator. Logoff your user account and login to your daughter account and from User Accounts change your user account type to Standard account type. After these changes your daughter is member of Administrators group while your user account  be comes member of the Users group which makes your account standard account.

Edited by FreeBooter, 20 April 2016 - 05:21 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

Assuming the Administrator account you want to create for your daughter is a Microsoft account and not a Local account, it is a three-part process.

1. From your own Administrator account, follow Option Three in this article to add a new user: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5440-user-account-add-windows-10-a.html#option3
  2. Then, still in your own Administrator account, follow Option One in this article to change the new user account to an Administrator: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6917-account-type-change-windows-10-a.html#option1
  3. Next, from your daughter's Administrator account, follow Option One in this article to delete your account: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-user-account-delete-windows-10-a.html#option1Do not delete your own account until after your daughter's Administrator account has been created.

#7 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:56 AM

My thanks to all of you for your help! I will attempt tp do this this afternoon! :thumbup2:  

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:06 AM

Create a system image backup before continuing

Deleting a user account is ok but I'm under the impression deleting the original admin user account might cause problems because the paths of installs, folders and files are still involved.

I don't know how to describe that much better but maybe someone else with more experience and knowledge than me can clarify that.

I'm just a simple cmptrgy but unfortunately I don't think its a simple undertaking deleting the original admin user account and moving on without problems.

Actually I hope I'm wrong but as already mentioned, I'm also interested in following this thread.

Personally I would recommend reinstalling Win10 with your daughter as the original admin account

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:18 AM

Deleting a user account is ok but I'm under the impression deleting the original admin user account might cause problems because the paths of installs, folders and files are still involved.

Backing up is always a good thing but no harm can come from deleting the "original" admin account.

Personally I would recommend reinstalling Win10 with your daughter as the original admin account

That is totally unnecessary.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:39 AM

"Backing up is always a good thing but no harm can come from deleting the "original" admin account."

Thanks Agouti, that is very good to know.

And it makes sense that it is totally unnecessary to reinstall Win10.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

I don't know how to describe that much better but maybe someone else with more experience and knowledge than me can clarify that.

I'm just a simple cmptrgy but unfortunately I don't think its a simple undertaking deleting the original admin user account and moving on without problems.

Actually I hope I'm wrong but as already mentioned, I'm also interested in following this thread.

That is what I had to do.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:12 PM

Tried the above suggestions, deleted my Admin account after creating an admin account for my daughter. Everything seemed to go well until a second re-boot, then my admin account reappeared and refused to be deleted?  The odd thing is my old account did not exist  anywhere in the settings account tab, but was always present at boot up.

So I think the only thing left to try is a complete re-install of W10 with my daughter as the account holder and admin. 

Edited by Willabong, 22 April 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:47 PM

From "Control Panel --> User Accounts" click Manage another account at next screen click your user account name and click Delete the account.

Posted Image

#14 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

I thoght of that, but Control Panel has disappeared from my laptop?

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

You can access Control Panel by pressing Win + R key together and type Control into Run box click OK button.
You can also delete your user account by typing lusrmgr.msc into Run box and from Local User and Groups window click Users on left pane and right click your user account name select Delete from the context menu.

"How To Add Control Panel To Start Menu In Windows 10" 
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-add-control-panel-to-start-menu-in-windows-10/

"How To Add Control Panel To desktop in windows 10"
http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=33

Edited by FreeBooter, 23 April 2016 - 06:29 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users