Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to do things with android smartphone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:22 AM

Some internet searching including looking through YouTube turns up many interesting information about smartphones but not everything that I searched for.

Android is a common operating system but so much is not clear.

• How do you turn OFF the operating system or the smartphone?  In Windows (like Windows 10 or Vista) on a regular computer, you turn it off by just choosing ShutDown, and this closes Windows and turns off the computer.  What do you do to turn off a smartphone?
  • How do you handle email on smartphones?  Do you just open a browser and go to the site which has your web mail account, sign in, and then use your email the same way as on a notebook or tower computer?
  • How do you update  or download and install updates for the installed Android operating system?  Do something the way you do for Windows 7 or Vista, like "Check for Updates" and select to download and install them?  Are there options or setting for this?
  • Is a cheap smartphone (like under $50) and a low priced plan  (like, especially Tracfone) a good way to learn and use cell phone service on a smartphone?
  • Uninstall unnecessary Apps easy to do?

Maybe more questions as they occur...

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:56 AM

Some internet searching including looking through YouTube turns up many interesting information about smartphones but not everything that I searched for.

Android is a common operating system but so much is not clear.

• How do you turn OFF the operating system or the smartphone?  In Windows (like Windows 10 or Vista) on a regular computer, you turn it off by just choosing ShutDown, and this closes Windows and turns off the computer.  What do you do to turn off a smartphone?

Hold Down The Power Button and you get the Options. 

• How do you handle email on smartphones?  Do you just open a browser and go to the site which has your web mail account, sign in, and then use your email the same way as on a notebook or tower computer?

You can use Webmail through the Browser , or just use Gmail App which is on most Smart Phones { Most Google Apps are Incorporated }.

• How do you update  or download and install updates for the installed Android operating system?  Do something the way you do for Windows 7 or Vista, like "Check for Updates" and select to download and install them?  Are there options or setting for this?

Updates are alerted , or show by swiping down top panel , or going to Google Play Store and Settings / My Apps and Games , and shown Installed Apps / Update.

• Is a cheap smartphone (like under $50) and a low priced plan  (like, especially Tracfone) a good way to learn and use cell phone service on a smartphone?

Dont know , all smart phones { Android } are pretty Simple and basic.

• Uninstall unnecessary Apps easy to do?

Apps installed by you are easy to uninstall , Carriers do install their own apps and cant be uninstalled in most cases.

Most Smart Phones have built in Manuals -  or download them if needed .........And Read Up to learn more.

Maybe more questions as they occur...

Thanks

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

I just want to add to what Havachat has said.

1. Yes, you can turn off the operating system, but then you won't be able to receive calls.
  2. Yes, you can access you email via a browser, i.e. webmail, but you can also use an application.  It's the same in Windows - you can either access you email via a browser or with an application like Thunderbird or Outlook.
  3. No, you don't get updates or security fixes like in Windows.  If the manufacturer decides to update your device, they will give you the option to update but you would be updating to a whole new version of the operating system.  Most of the time you don't get that option, although that system may change.  Android is not Windows, and Windows is not Android.  You have to stop thinking Windows.
  4. Nobody can say whether a cheap $50 phone and an equally cheap plan would work for you.  That is something you have to find out on your own.
  5. Apps can generally be uninstalled but you'll find some which cannot be uninstalled.

I would suggest you do some more research if you want to learn more about smartphones and mobile operating systems.  Notice I used the term "mobile operating systems" because Android isn't the only mobile operating system.

Edited by Agouti, 20 April 2016 - 08:37 AM.

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

Nice help so far.  I asked here because I started some information search about smartphones and plans but have not yet found as much as I want to learn.  I checked in a few retail stores and some internet searches and in YouTube.  

All the CHEAPER phones and plans  (smartphones) have Android on the devices of less than $50, and Tracfone looks to be the best airtime plans.  I have not bought any smartphone nor airtime plan yet, so I cannot yet register onto the Tracfone forum.  There are other forums, but seems to be several of them.  Response on B.C. seem to be better interaction and mostly on-target (even if only two responses since yesterday). 

Is the Gmail App which appear through some of the YouTube videos another kind of email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook or is this Gmail App just a alternate way of being a web/internet browser?  I looked in the Google Play website about this but the question is not answered there; so I do not know if the Gmail App is a browser or an Email Client on the Android operating system.

Main reasons for $20 or $30 smartphone and buying service through Tracfone are to LEARN to use, without spending much money.  Some of their 90-day airtime plans look good.  I believe I only use about 15 to 20 minutes per month on my basic "dumb" phone with PREPAID verizon plan currently.  Main uses for a smartphone would still be limited to cell phone voice calls/talking, some text messaging, and Google Maps if I'm away from home, and maybe email, again when I am away from home.  The keyboard feature on the smartphones screens appear to be better/easier than dealing with the numeric keypad on the basic non-smart phones, so dealing with text messages could be expected to be much easier.  Same thing for email.  Not know how all this would really be until I try.

I would still deal with word process documents, spreadsheets, PDF's, pictures & images, and most email and internet activity on desktop and laptop computers.

Another Question:  Can a or any smartphone with Android o.s. be adjusted to be helpful to use for old people who have cognitive trouble?  Is there a way of dealing with voice calls to make SPEECH to TEXT when someone speaks to them through the phone?

Edited by cafejose, 20 April 2016 - 12:46 PM.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:41 AM

Is restarting on occasion necessary, as is sometimes on Windows computers?  

Does Android have anything like a "Task Manager" to allow the user to close programs (or Apps) which are interfering with something?  Does this kind of problem happen on a smartphone with Android?

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:42 PM

Is restarting on occasion necessary, as is sometimes on Windows computers?

No its not necessary - the only time you need to restart is if you suspect an issue , ive done mine once this year.

Any installed app requiring a restart or Manufacturer Update will normally just reboot without prompting.

Does Android have anything like a "Task Manager" to allow the user to close programs (or Apps) which are interfering with something?  Does this kind of problem happen on a smartphone with Android?

Android Phones can display Running Apps , you can close them if need be , but usually not an issue on Android .

Or using a third party app to disable them from startup { I use "Android Assistance" App } and other tools within for cleaning Cache etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users