Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet connection speed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 boriskarloff

boriskarloff

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:10 AM

i have a question,ive had about 6 techs to my location, and none of them gave me a valid reason for my issue, so i thought id come here to see what you guys have to say about it... heres the situation......

i live in an appartment building,i have charter spectrum internet. some times my connection through wireless is around 40,normally 20-30. ive had about 6 differenty techs check connections, replace cables, the last tech that came by, showed be on his laptop which was an old thinkpad, his speed was about 55... ok, i have 2 laptops, they both get the same speed ratings or close, also, at times, my speed drops as low as 1.5 like tonight. the other night, it dropped to .75.... so.... being i have 2 laptops that get the same speed, how could it possibly be something wrong with my laptops? both of them? to me that makes no sense...keeping in mind i live in an appartment. that also probably contributes to the issue.... but a range from .75-45? thats quite a big difference.im hoping someone can come on here and clear this up for me. the techs didnt, neither did others ive talked with about it. open to any idea you may have.ive rebooted many times,both modem and router,changed the channel on my router which didnt help. the only thing that soundslike a fix maybe, is the receptionist at charter told me to request a 8G modem,or router,that mine is a 4G. i told the tech,and he said hes never heard of it. sounds a bit fishy to me.... are they possibly saving these better modems or routers for customers they favor?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 April 2016 - 08:35 AM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

Are you on 2.4GHz or 5GHz?  What channel are you using?  Are there other Wifi networks in range?  How many do you see?  How many networks are there on the same channel as yours?  If on 2.4GHz, are all the networks in range using either channels 1, 6, or 11?  Are there any networks on a channel that is within 2 channels above or below the one you are using?  Are any networks using channel bonding?

#3 boriskarloff

boriskarloff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:59 PM

Are you on 2.4GHz or 5GHz?  What channel are you using?  Are there other Wifi networks in range?  How many do you see?  How many networks are there on the same channel as yours?  If on 2.4GHz, are all the networks in range using either channels 1, 6, or 11?  Are there any networks on a channel that is within 2 channels above or below the one you are using?  Are any networks using channel bonding?

2.4  i believe its on ch.1.... there are currently 11 others available than mine.i have no idea what channel they are using. if i asked them,most likely they wouldnt know either. im no tech,so i have no idea either what channel bonding is. i do remember though they told at charter there are 11 different channels. said nothing about 1,6, or 11. anyway,today my connection is around 40. but it will ultimately drop at any given time. sometimes its ok for days. how would i find out what channel they are using? with that many on charter, they all are, you can have no sattelite here....im sure there is at least 3 that shares that same channel. when charter installs internet, they install routers out of the box. in other words, no settings are made channel wise, so probably they all are on the same channel.

#4 Darin A

Darin A

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

i live in an appartment building,i have charter spectrum internet. some times my connection through wireless is around 40,normally 20-30.

This is the important information.  wiFi is just a radio transmission.  Like driving near a radio station that is brocasting on a frequency near another station who is futher away, multiple WiFi networks nearby will cause interferance and thus slow downs.  Your nieghbors are likely using thier WiFi hevally in the times you are seen the slow downs and all the data is colidding in the air slowing things down.  A dual band router may help but in a tight space like an apartment coplex wifi will never be consistant.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:02 PM

Download WifiInfoView.  Create a new folder and name it WifiInfoView.  Unzip the contents in that folder.  Double-click WifiInfoView.exe to run it.  (Note, you must be able to view file extensions to see the "exe").  The program will display all networks that are in range.  You will also see your own network among the rest.  You can sort the networks, e.g. by signal strength, by clicking on the relevant column heading.  WifiInfoView is portable, so if you decide you want to get rid of it, just delete the folder and it's gone.  No need to uninstall.

Log in to your router and select a channel with the least networks.  You should only select either channels 1, 6 or 11 because each channel overlaps with the two other channels above as well as below.  For example, if you choose channel 6, it will overlap with channels 4, 5, 7 and 8.  People who select any channel other than 1, 6 or 11 may think they are smart, but they only make things worse for themselves and others.  Stick to the recommended channels.

When 802.11n was introduced, it included a new feature called channel bonding.  Channel bonding occupies two channels instead of one.  When you take into account the overlapping of channels as well, it makes the 2.4GHz band almost unusable.  The bad part about it is that it affects, not just the person who is using channel bonding, but his neighbors too.  I should mention that channel bonding in the 5GHz band does not suffer from these negatives.

Both channel bonding and using non-recommended channels can lead to more dropped packets which in turn translates to lower throughput for 2.4GHz users.

Darin A mentioned yet another factor - the number of networks you are sharing the same channel with, and more importantly, what the respective clients of those networks are doing.  For example, if you are on the same channel with some neighbors who are seeding torrents or downloading video, that can have a negative impact on your own network's speed.  Unfortunately, there is no way for you to tell what your neighbors are doing.  Your only option is to try another channel and hope that it isn't as busy.

#6 boriskarloff

boriskarloff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

i live in an appartment building,i have charter spectrum internet. some times my connection through wireless is around 40,normally 20-30.

This is the important information.  wiFi is just a radio transmission.  Like driving near a radio station that is brocasting on a frequency near another station who is futher away, multiple WiFi networks nearby will cause interferance and thus slow downs.  Your nieghbors are likely using thier WiFi hevally in the times you are seen the slow downs and all the data is colidding in the air slowing things down.  A dual band router may help but in a tight space like an apartment coplex wifi will never be consistant.

thank you.

#7 boriskarloff

boriskarloff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

Download WifiInfoView.  Create a new folder and name it WifiInfoView.  Unzip the contents in that folder.  Double-click WifiInfoView.exe to run it.  (Note, you must be able to view file extensions to see the "exe").  The program will display all networks that are in range.  You will also see your own network among the rest.  You can sort the networks, e.g. by signal strength, by clicking on the relevant column heading.  WifiInfoView is portable, so if you decide you want to get rid of it, just delete the folder and it's gone.  No need to uninstall.

Log in to your router and select a channel with the least networks.  You should only select either channels 1, 6 or 11 because each channel overlaps with the two other channels above as well as below.  For example, if you choose channel 6, it will overlap with channels 4, 5, 7 and 8.  People who select any channel other than 1, 6 or 11 may think they are smart, but they only make things worse for themselves and others.  Stick to the recommended channels.

When 802.11n was introduced, it included a new feature called channel bonding.  Channel bonding occupies two channels instead of one.  When you take into account the overlapping of channels as well, it makes the 2.4GHz band almost unusable.  The bad part about it is that it affects, not just the person who is using channel bonding, but his neighbors too.  I should mention that channel bonding in the 5GHz band does not suffer from these negatives.

Both channel bonding and using non-recommended channels can lead to more dropped packets which in turn translates to lower throughput for 2.4GHz users.

Darin A mentioned yet another factor - the number of networks you are sharing the same channel with, and more importantly, what the respective clients of those networks are doing.  For example, if you are on the same channel with some neighbors who are seeding torrents or downloading video, that can have a negative impact on your own network's speed.  Unfortunately, there is no way for you to tell what your neighbors are doing.  Your only option is to try another channel and hope that it isn't as busy.

good info, thanks,i will download it.

#8 boriskarloff

boriskarloff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:55 PM

good info, thanks,i will download it

there are 5 on 11,4 on 6,4on 1,1on8,1 on 5, and 1 on 2.... so,the best channel for me would be 2,5,or 8? or any other channel that none occupy?

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:28 PM

boriskarloff, please do not use quotes to post a simple reply.  Only quote when you want to specifically draw attention to some part of a post.  Unnecessary quoting makes the thread long and serves no purpose.

How can the best channels be 2, 5 and 8 when I specifically said to pick either 1, 6 or 11?

#10 boriskarloff

boriskarloff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

i dont know. i was going by the amount of connections on those channels. please explain to me why 1,6, or 11 is best? does that mean no matter how many are connected to those channels? i was on channel one..... i went in the router settings and put it on 8, seemed about the same. then i went in and put it on 6, same, then i changed it to 10 where it is at currently.they all seem to give about the same connection...please ive an explanation as to why 1,6, or 11 is best. not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the reason behind it.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:30 AM

i dont know. i was going by the amount of connections on those channels. please explain to me why 1,6, or 11 is best?

...please ive an explanation as to why 1,6, or 11 is best. not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the reason behind it.

I already explained that in post #5.  Go back and read it again.  If you still don't understand, read it again until you understand.

#12 boriskarloff

boriskarloff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

got it. thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users