Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Or Norton? Plus - A Personal Virus Removal Story

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 letan

letan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

Hey,

I was looking on info Norton vs. AVG and found many discussions from before, and decided to go with the AVG Free. Is there any risk that because it is free it is worse than Norton?

And through my searchings, I found this nice story about a guy who removed a virus and helped protect a computer, and I could relate...
http://www.quazen.com/Computers/Security/M...;-Help!.416

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Neonknight77

Neonknight77

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

I'd pick AVG. My dad has Norton. People say it's a resource hog, but my dad makes it run when he's sleeping so no problem. Also, I don't like it because it can't remove everything that AVG can. But my favorite personally antivirus is Kaspersky AntiVirus 6.0

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:16 AM

I have been using AVG free since '03 and have not had a virus to date. But I run four other program to help secure my system Spywar Guard, MS Defender, Spybot S&D, and Syate firewall. There are many more.

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

The fact that AVG provides a basic AV for free (and has a paid version with extra bells and whistles) should not deter you from using it, since the engine and the definitions do not differ from the paid application. Certainly Norton is good, but many people seem to have resource problems using it and difficulties removing it.
I, too, have used AVGFree for many years, and have never found a virus it missed by scanning with different applications.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users