Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stopped booting, just stays on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ayjayar

Ayjayar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:57 PM

Hey guys. I made a new computer rig back in late 2015. I have had no issues with it, playing games mostly. However, about a week ago, I received a BSOD mid-game. It restarted and was good as new. Then I was playing Grim Dawn a few days ago and it froze on me. I tried to restart it and it would just turn on a couple seconds then loop restart continuously. I started taking out one piece at a time to troubleshoot it. It started coming on but there is no display or any motherboard sounds to indicate anything is happening. I've tried different outputs, different monitors, a new motherboard, using barebones, and everything else I can think of. Do you think the chip is fried? Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Rig

GPU: Geforce GTX960

CPU: i5-4670K

Case: Coolermaster HAF 912

PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate (Now an Asus B85M-E/CSM)

SSD: Sandisk Ultra II 960 GB SATA III

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB(2x4GB)

Edited by Ayjayar, 19 April 2016 - 11:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

If I understand correctly, you have a different motherboard...but it still isn't working.  Have you tested the power supply to make sure everything is getting enough voltage?

#3 Ayjayar

Ayjayar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried replacing the motherboard. I have not yet checked the voltage on the PSU. I was trying to hold off on buying new components until I knew my next steps. I'll get a voltage checker then. Thanks for the input.

#4 Ayjayar

Ayjayar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

I checked the voltage of all the rails and they are all less than 5% from the correct voltage. I also tried another power supply. Still no go. It isn't the RAM, as I've tried with different sticks, it isn't the hard drive, it isn't the power supply, it isn't the motherboard. I should at least be getting some motherboard sounds or something. The only component I haven't replaced/checked is the chip. Or am I missing something here? Thanks again!

#5 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

I can't at the moment think of anything you are missing.  When you say "chip" I understand you to mean the CPU (processor.) If you are sure the motherboard is okay (capacitors are ok?) and that the RAM is okay, any inserted cards are ok, then the CPU is about all that's left.  What was the CPU, how many cores and was it overclocked?  Sufficient cooling?

Edit:  I'm sorry...I looked above and saw what your CPU was.

Did you have anything monitoring the temps?

Edited by busdriver72, 22 April 2016 - 09:33 AM.

#6 Ayjayar

Ayjayar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

I have ample cooling, with good cable management. I am also using an aftermarket heatsink. The new motherboard works fine and the previous one had no blown capacitors. I didn't overclock the CPU because I mainly just used the rig for gaming. As far as temperature monitoring, I just used the BIOS. It may just be the chip. Can't think of anything else that would mimic these symptoms. Thank you for all your help. If you can think of anything else let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users