Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No DVI Signal after changing RAM and adding 2 drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dperry913

dperry913

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:47 PM

Hi, everyone

I have an ASUS M4A89GTD motherboard and an AMD Phenom II x4. Belive it or not I've been running Windows XP 32 bit for years and I finally am going up to Win 7 64, but before I did that I installed two SS drives and replaced the Corsair PC1600 DIMMS (2 x 2GB) with two G-Skill 4GB PC1600 DIMMS. I did no other changes, I was going to get into BIOS and boot from the DVD drive to begin the Win 7 installation, but from the first boot up I get my ASUS LCD monitor saying "no DVI signal". I did remove and then put back my GTX 560 graphics card to plug in some SATA cables but I made doubly sure it was seated and screwed in right. The fans all start and the old system drive spins but still no signal to the monitor.

I took out the new RAM and put the old RAM in, no change. I tried an older graphics card, nothing, still no DVI being reported by monitor. I'm,100% sure this is not a cable issue unless the cable just happened to suddenly die even though it's only a year old and gave me no problems before. This must be related to my work inside the machine but I can't figure out what I did that would cause this, particularly after I put the old RAM (which was working before) back in where it was before.

Any ideas?

PS I'm also wondering if for some reason I lost my wireless keyboard connection too, but even if the machine isn't responding to keyboard commands, it should be booting to Windows XP since I hear the old system drive spin up, but still no response from the monitor. In fact it just stays black unless I power it off and on, then it says "no DVI" and immediately goes to sleep.

Could the motherboard have had some reaction to the RAM being swapped out that now has it stuck? This seems like it must be the motherboard because I just can't see what else it would be---I'm sure I didn't just suddenly have two graphics cards die at the same time and I'm sure all connections are secure and the monitor and DVI cable are nearly new.

TIA,

Dave Perry

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2016 - 01:43 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:03 AM

Sounds like you've checked everything but one. The first item I would want to rule out is the monitor. Makes no difference how nearly new it is. Hook it up to another computer & test it. Then if it's working, you can start troubleshooting the computer. If it doesn't work, you're done.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users