Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to back up files without creating duplicates?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Alex411

Alex411

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:14 PM

A while ago I used a flash drive to back up all my music on an old pc. Now on my new pc i wanted to back up the new music I've gotten since then. However, I'm wondering if the pc will save just the new songs or will it save everything all over again(creating a TON of duplicates). Should I just erase the drive and start new? Sorry if this was confusing. 

Using: Windows 10
30GB flash drive

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 April 2016 - 08:32 AM.
moved from External Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

Which program are you using to do the backups?  Some programs can backup changes since the last backup was done.

#3 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:45 PM

Just the Windows backup option. I used it on the old pc and now i was going to use it with my new one. I'm not sure what exactly it'll do though. Save just the new stuff or what. 

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

The built-in system image utility in Windows 10 is very basic.  It will allow you to create an image but it's all or nothing.  Third party imaging programs, such as Macrium Reflect Free, will allow you to make a full backup and then differential backups thereafter.  Differential images will only contain changes that were made subsequent to the full image.

#5 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

Oh I see. thank you.  :)

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

If you are familiar with the command line, I can show you how to do this.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:00 PM

@ prefer: Sounds cool, I'll check that out

@ Didier: I've used it a few times for things. nothing major though.

#8 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

I don't know if will run on Windows 10 but I use Bart Sync Backup Tool, it's a free portable program.

It works like a charm on Windows 7, it has a simple User Interface and the Command Line options are explained on site.

Hope this helps!  :wink:

#9 casquinhas

casquinhas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:23 AM

FreeFileSync has malware in the last versions, so don't use it. It was an amazing program.

You do have Cobian Backup and Veeam Endpoint Backup as good choices. I use the https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html because it can do full backups and incremental. Also it can backup the full computer and restore it. It can do also backups and incremental of selected directories, so it might be useful for some cases.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

I think Macrium Reflect [free or pay-for] can do the job.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:37 PM

+1. Just used MR Free to back-up & transfer docs, pics, etc from SIL's old PC with Win7 to new PC with Win10. Worked like a charm and good not be easier. 

Edited by Artbuc, 07 May 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#12 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:24 AM

I got Macrium and it said that backing up files was a paid feature. Is that a new thing or did i miss something? lol

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

Naw, you didn't miss anything, according to scuttlebutt: for awhile, it was an undocumented accidental feature that free version will do folders/files.  They closed the loophole.  Buy the Pro, you will be very glad you did!  I did for all three computers   :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:54 PM

Alex411, if you're still listening:

If all you want to backup is movies, pictures, text files - the normal data files, take a trip here and get SYNCBACK.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

install, setup profiles for directories you want to backup, then setup a group of profiles and go.

Don't forget to clearly name your external drives, and give them a fixed drive letter, so that Syncback can reliably find the destination.

Changed files and new files will be indicated on the display. Duplicates are indicated as collisions and you can decide if to replace a file or not. All fast and easy.

Later on you can schedule backups if you so wish.

I only use the scheduler for the moment I want to do backup so that my external drives are disconnected and safe.

And I do not ever use mirroring.

To do system images is a whole different story and a different purpose. Here you have Macrium, Acronis, AOMEI, bunch of others.

Don't ever fail to test restores, something not often mentioned on the web. Everybody backs up but if you can't restore, those backups are useless.

Edit: the beauty of Syncback is that the files aren't zipped or encrypted, just like plain copies. So you do not need any external program to see them. And you can intermingle making manual copies into already made Syncback folders. So you get the best of both worlds.

Edited by tos226, 02 June 2016 - 10:58 PM.

#15 Oertty

Oertty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:22 PM

For example , you need to install a transfer tools in your computer , and connect your android to computer with USB cable ,after then launch the transfer app , you'll be able to preview and select the data that you want to transfer is , wait few second , these select phone data are transfer the computer for backup , even if which dayaccident deletion the data by you , you can recover them from original backup on the computer,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users