Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Muskateercs

Muskateercs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:05 AM

Hi I am new here, infact this is my 1st posting.
We have a homepc and a laptop. Homepc is aol broadband, whilst the laptop runs off a wireless connection to our neighbours computer.
We now have our package to change our homepc to aol wireless internet, and then hope to run the laptop from our own pc rather than carry on being connected through his setup.
We have also noticed that our homepc is running on a pirate copy of windowsxp professionl, so we have been out and bought a legal package of Windows XP Home Edition.
Guess what....we cant instal it!!
How do I check the xp (that is on the laptop), to know whether that is legal or pirate?
How do I resolve this whole situation?
My goal is to have the homepc running only legal softwear and to be able to run the laptop from it.
Can anybody help?.....Please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Good for you for not wanted to keep pirated XP.

You can see if Microsoft thinks it is pirated by going to:

Start > All Programs > Windows Update (near the top of the list).

This will take you to Microsoft's update web site. Updates are available for legitamite copies of XP. In order to determine wether yours is legit or not you will go through a valadation process. If you fail this process you should be given a phone number to call Microsoft. Call them and speak to them about this. It is possible that Microsoft's web site validation process is wrong, it may flag you as pirated but it may be incorrect. When you call them, they may be able to sell you a valid product key and then you will be able to continue to use XP pro that you have installed (although my guess is you don't have the original CD, and that is not good as you may need it someday).

Or to install you XP home you need to do a clean install, including formatting the harddrive which will wipe out all of the old pirated version of XP as well as wipe out all of your data. You will also needs the drivers to your computer. If you don't have the original drivers CD from your computer's manufacturer, then you should be able to download the drivers you need from the internet at either the computer manufacturer's website, or the motherboard manufacturer's web site.

So if you go the clean install route, do your homework and get everything ready first. Back up your data. Download the drivers. Then start the installation process.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

This program will verify whether or not Windows XP Home/Pro is legal or not Legal.
Please download this from Microsoft and run it on your computer
Filename = WGADiag2.exe
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
Press "Copy to clipboard" and post the results here

If this shows anything other than Genuine it is illegal and then you can procede to the next step since you didnot know until just no that your version is/was illegal

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...7-25WGA1PR.mspx

PS I hope your neighboor knows you are using his wireless connection if he does not and finds out you may be in real hot water. I suggest you get his permission or when you get your own let him know his connection is not secure.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

This program will verify whether or not Windows XP Home/Pro is legal or not Legal.
Please download this from Microsoft and run it on your computer
Filename = WGADiag2.exe
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
Press "Copy to clipboard" and post the results here

WGADiag2.exe will confirm if indeed your XP copy is legit or not.

But I'd like to add that the posting of the results are not necessary.
And in fact could lead to personal and unneeded information being publicly displayed.
So my advice is to just keep the results to yourself. :thumbsup:

Scarlett - Forum Mod

Edited by Scarlett, 05 August 2006 - 12:11 PM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

Ok Hewlett Packard just lost a lawsuit because they do not provide the recovery disk(s) for their OS's, I am thinking if you called HP and talked to them they would send the recovery disk(s) to you at only the shipping and handling charges.

About the illegal OS that is supposed ly illegal I suggest checking the following:

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...7-25WGA1PR.mspx

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hi Muskateercs

The tool ThorXP linked you to is a quick way to find out if the laptop is legal or not, or at least if it will pass validation. If it fails validation as well, I suggest you follow the steps Albert Frankenstein laid out. If any probelms with that, you can get more information on how to contact MS about this issue here: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting_FAQ.mspx

For the Home PC (which I assume is a desktop) that you believe to be illegal, since you've already purchased a legal copy, just back up your data from the illegal copy and do the clean install as AF has suggested.

I'm unsure tho if your desktop is still operational. If it's not, you'll have to slave your hard drive to another to get the data you want to keep off of it. It would be important for us to know if the illegal XP is still working or not.

What steps did you take to find out you couldn't install the legal copy? I.E., did you just try to install it without reformatting?

I missed seeing that you have an HP. If you do, the recovery cd's (for any prebuilt) would be easier to install since they have drivers for that model of the PC. But you didn't say if you got the desktop from a manufacturer or a private individual that may have built it from scratch (known as a white box).

Also, did you purchse an OEM copy of XP?

Let us know if you have any other questions.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#7 Muskateercs

Muskateercs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

Thank you so much for all the replies, I am quite shocked as how many there are - 5, so far. ;)
My eyes are a little sore right now, so I will check all the replies later after a rest. I have been at the pc nearly all day!
Thank you once again for all your help.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:16 AM

How did the home pc get the pirate copy installed?
If it came from HP or any other major manufacturer with the op system installed on it, it is not a pirated copy, regardless of whether it will verify or not.

What brand is the pc and what op system came on it and how did the op system you think is illegal get on it?

In any case, to install XP Home when XP Pro was previously installed you need to get the installation boot disks which you can download from Microsoft here:
How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

#9 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:21 PM

if you have a new key and do not want to reinstall just go to the following link and run through the product key update tool http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/purchase/...structions.aspx . it only takes about 10 min and you dont have to back up or reinstall all of your personal stuff.

#10 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

my apologies i did not notice that you are going from XPP to XPP in that case the only way to do it is format the computer. You do not need the boot disks you just need to boot from the cd. Just put the cd in the machine and restart the computer. you will se a message that says "press any key to boot to cd" there are a few steps to go through after that. on the first screen press enter to install a fresh copy. on the second press F8 to agree to the eula. Press ESC on the next screen then you will have a list of partitions. Delete the system partition and you will have to confirm twice. Then you want to create a new partition and make sure that the max file size is listed. Next press enter on the new\raw partition and format using NTFS. That will take quite a while then it will go into copying files for about 15-20min. The system will then reboot just let it go and you will be in the installation. Remember to get the data backed up and Unhook anything external especially the internet connection so you do not get nailed with the sasser worm.

sorry again ment to say XPP to XPH (will get it right sooner or later)

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

One thing to remember is no matter what way you take to get this done before you start the procedure the thing to do is back up all of your data to another media like CD-R's or DVD. With what you are doing one goof up and if your data is not backed up you will more than likely lose it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users