Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17.3

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

Regardless of the fact that my previous topic here   was closed....I still have a problem with magnetic links in thunderbird email on the above mentioned OS

(Just so that everyone knows....the link which I provided in the prior topic, does not reflect the type of material I download. The material I do download is of a scholastic nature, and pertains to a subject I have studied for 48 years.  That link was the first I saw when I went to the torrent site, so I used it...not imagining it would be used against me.)

Moving on.....

I have experimented by uninstalling thunderbird and reinstalling...likewise with qbittorrent......I have tried an alternative to qbittorrent .....both programs have shown in firefox as being the default opener for the magnetic type links......but still no joy.

I am not favorably disposed to try an alternative to thunderbird as it works flawlessly in all other respects.......and I have used it in many flavors of Windows OS for many years....it has never let me down. Until now...(Linux appears top be the culprit)

Any Ideas ?

Edit :Spelling.

Edited by Condobloke, 19 April 2016 - 09:03 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

did you try transmission? its a little better at magnet links legal or otherwise.

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 April 2016 - 09:13 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for your reply.

No I haven't.....and Yes, I will !

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

Note that I am not saying commit piracy here, but indeed I have seen magnet links used for legal methods such as some linux distros using them for torrents

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:39 PM

Noted.....and you are quite correct that they are used for many legal purposes.

Edited by Condobloke, 19 April 2016 - 09:41 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

If using Chrome there is a plugin to use with Transmission. I personally have not used this plugin.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:07 PM

Thank you John,......now if only there were a plugin for that purpose in Firefox !....I will investigate that as well.

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:44 PM

+1 for Transmission. It's what i use also. Once installed it should handle magnet links.

You might have to "train" it. I can't verify it for Thunderbird because i don't use it.

now if only there were a plugin for that purpose in Firefox

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/torrent-tornado/?src=search

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:50 AM

Though I've not used Thunderbird, if one's importing an account that was setup on Windows, then Thunderbird needs to be installed on a Windows computer & email addresses ported over before doing so on Linux. Seems kind of strange that's a requirement, yet that's what I've read countless times in regards to Thunderbird email setup on Linux. 

Otherwise, Linux Mint MATE is an excellent OS & easy to run, in nearly 7 years, have hit few snags. My email, I grab from the browser, as I've found that's the best way for me, some free email accounts just won't setup right with a client. So other than on a few Windows 7 installs where I use Windows Live Mail & it's baked into 8.1, for Outlook/Hotmail, just prefer the simplicity of a browser for the rest. 

At any rate, if there's a promo I want to see, the email will open in the browser anyway, so a client just isn't my cup of tea, though to others, may be the preferred method. If only all email services are required to use the same setup to add to a client, things would be a lot easier. 

Hope that this at least answers the 'why' to your issues with Thunderbird. Otherwise, it's rated good when properly working. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:01 AM

After some serious to-ing and fro-ing....I have settled on the following setup.

I have installed SHOWRSS

I have made an arrangement for certain links to be forwarded to qbittorrent, where it downloads and all is well.

I did play a little with the addon for firefox torrent tornado....link supplied by raw.... Thank you....and decided it was not for me.

I have also made the decision, after much reading, to go to Linux Mint Mate. I am not sure at this moment just how I would go about that, but I am sure some advice will come to hand shortly.

I also figured out to how to add a shortcut to the desktop for a URL.....the things we take for granted in windows os's are just that teeny little bit different here !...also I added my printer...piece of cake...took all of approx 5 clicks and 20 seconds.......however the included scanner took a little more to figure out.....involved installing 'simple scan'.....and now all is rather cool.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,987 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:51 AM

I have also made the decision, after much reading, to go to Linux Mint Mate.

And you won't regret that decision! :thumbup2:

Linux Mint MATE is a desktop that's great for newbies & professionals alike. It's also arguably the easiest transition to Linux for those new to Linux, because the Start Menu is as close to XP/Vista/Win 7 as it gets. While many articles & users, some on this forum, has stated how much Cinnamon has 'matured', installed it about two weeks ago & could never get used to screens flying out at me. I prefer that the desktop is there at login, rather than fly out afterwards, and there seems to be no fix for this common issue, which has been present since Cinnamon was released. 

While it may indeed have better graphics than MATE, there's nothing wrong with the latter & is a perfect drop in replacement for all supported versions of Windows, as well as XP/W2K. Plus a powerful GPU isn't needed, I felt that my MSI branded AMD Radeon 7770 (1GB GDDR5) OC edition would work well in taming Cinnamon's graphics, no cigar, gives a WEI score of 7.6 on Windows 7 Ultimate. Same with my more powerful MSI branded GTX 960, 2GB GDDR5, at $200 GPU, not 'budget', rather a low mid-tier card that gives a 7.9, highest score available for Windows 7. Neither can run Cinnamon good, though some with much older computers (the one that jargos has being a shining example, designed for Vista), in his words, runs fantastic.

So it's the opposite that may be the case, will try on an older stashed PC that's getting a quad core upgrade (AMD Athlon II x4 630 @ 2.8GHz, a nice chip for $119 new, still sells on eBay for half it's new price. It was also part of the first family of AMD quads released, and has no hyper threading (or AMD's equivalent for it, just 4 pure quad cores. In contrast, what I thought to be a pure 6 core CPU in the FX-6300 I upgraded to, is three cores & three virtual ones. Though it's more powerful than the 630 x4, it's sort of misleading when they say it's a 6 core CPU. AMD was sued over this, & won. Maybe a good thing, it shouldn't be up to the legal system to define a CPU core. :)

Enjoy Linux Mint MATE, I feel that you will! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:59 AM

Thanks Cat !

I have a usb drive at the ready to transfer the little that i have downloaded to this cinnamon .....I will simply drop it back onto the Mate edition once it is installed.

Just to check that i am approaching this in a reasonable way......i have the 64bit Mate ISO on a separate thumb drive.  I will boot to that thumb drive, and then select Install Mate....and specify the drive and partition that Cinnamon is currently on (?)

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:23 AM

I will boot to that thumb drive, and then select Install Mate....and specify the drive and partition that Cinnamon is currently on (?)

Basically yes.

There should be an option there that says something like replace Linux mint with linux mint mate,

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:26 AM

Got it.

Wish me Luck....I have a beer in one hand.....

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

May I ask what brand of printer you installed?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users