Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there potential damage?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alex411

Alex411

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

hello, 

I accidentally dropped a plastic jar (less then 7oz)onto the area to the bottom right of the keyboard. It's heavy enough to where I'm worried something could be damaged internally. I've checked the HDD for errors and it says it's fine. I also checked the program Crystal Disc Info and it also says everything's working normally.  I don't hear any odd sounds or anything that appears to be abnormal. Do you think I have anything to worry about?

pc: Pavilion Notebook 15- ab157nr
windows 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

Keyboards are actually fairly tough, and if there are no indications anything else has suffered from the impact, I think the signs are good. The screen is the most vulnerable part when it comes to a hit.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:25 PM

Keyboards are actually fairly tough, and if there are no indications anything else has suffered from the impact, I think the signs are good. The screen is the most vulnerable part when it comes to a hit.

So even though it was struck slightly below the keyboard (to the right of the touchpad) it should still be okay? I saw a few videos that showed the HDD is in that position and so I was rather concerned.  

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Only time will tell for sure, but if a hard drive is affected by impact, it usually shows up immediately. A good report from Crystal Disk Info is encouraging. Was the laptop on a solid surface like a desk or table? If so, less physical motion would occur, but in any case, a laptop hard drive is expected to be designed with a higher tolerance of G-forces than regular desktop drives.

#5 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

Yes, it was on a desk. I hope everything works out alright. Thank you for the response.  :thumbup2:

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

You're welcome! Hope all goes well.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Those keyboard support areas are pretty tough.  Tough enough to pinch a pen closed between the screen and keyboard and break the display element before any damage to the keyboard resulted.  The drives are pretty tough themselves and will take a pretty good "knock" before anything gets damaged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users