Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing windows 10 on a windows 7, (64bit), pc. :)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nullnaught

nullnaught

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

I have an acer aspire X3400 with windows 7 and want to possibly upgrade to windows 10 and would like to know if that can be harmful  to my computer in any way possible.   I have very little experience with this type of thing.  Thank you very much.  and nice day to you.  :)

Edited by hamluis, 19 April 2016 - 07:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:24 PM

There is the possibility that you may not like Windows 10, but harmful?  Hardly.  What you may want to do is google around and see if other users with the same model computer, have problems with drivers.  If you do decide to upgrade, I would strongly advise that you make a backup before doing so.

#3 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:33 PM

Hello there, 

I agree with Agouti that you'll need to back up before you upgrade. 

Looking at your machine, you should be absolutely fine to upgrade to Win 10.

For peace of mind please see below the minimum requirements for Win 10: 

Processor: 1GHz or faster 

RAM: 1GB (32-bit) 2GB (64-bit)

Free hard disk space: 16GB

Hope this helps!

#4 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:01 PM

The "Upgrade" does allow you to revert back to your previous OS and is very painless in case 10 is not what you want.

If you decide to run Win 10 full time I always do a Clean Install using the MediaCreationTool

If privacy (MS) becomes a concern a quick visit to BlackVipers "Safe List" of "Services" plus a shot of Windows Privacy Tweaker handles things very nicely. Does away with all the chatter back to MS.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

As already mentioned.......backup, backup backup.....and then.....Backup !!

As much as the "revert" function is supposed to work with no dramas.....I have read a few horror stories...So.....create a full backup on an external hard drive. Then disconnect the drive from the PC....probably just a usb connection, but disconnect it anyway.

The suggestion to check for available drivers is a good one.....do that.

(Macrium Reflect is a good program to create your backup with.....Also create rescue media, and Add recovery boot menu option....found under "other tasks"

Then....go for it.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

The "Upgrade" does allow you to revert back to your previous OS and is very painless in case 10 is not what you want.

Hey there nullnaught, just last weekend I helped a friend with an old laptop perform the "revert to Win 7"  and it was, surprisingly, rather easy.

I got the usual, "are you sure you want to go back?" prompts in a couple of windows, but once I declined them all, he was back to his Win 7 desktop in less than 1/2 hour.

My experience not withstanding, I would also +1 the backup idea.

Backups are always good to have around.

Good luck.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

it's highly possible you might not WANT windows 10, but windows 10 damaging your computer is NOT HUGELY likely.

You'll need to check your hardware is compatible but the main thing you need to do is work out if windows 10 is the OS for you.

Let us first discuss what "damage" means,

if we consider damage as in hardware damage, anything that can't be fixed by reinstalling a good OS or using system images and repair discs to return the system to it's current or factory state then NO, windows 10 won't do damage. If it runs awfully the computer hardware could still n principle be taken back to working order as it currently is in, or at it's factory fresh state. Whatever you want to do make sure to make a system image now:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/ WHATEVER YOU DO MAKE A SYSTEM IMAGE, IT'S GOOD FOR FIXING OTHER TYPES OF PROBLEM TOO

if we consider damage to mean ruining the OS and having an OS that can't work well with your hardware, perhaps driver issues and incompatibilities, yes this can happen, especially for older hardware.

if we consider damage to mean changing the system so it works in ways you don't like but which are designed into the OS, this is entirely possible. Gp and have a look at a computer running windows 10 already, see if you like it, if not then don't upgrade your own and don't let your own be upgraded. Look at news about windows 10, see what people are ranting that they hate*, if you're ok with the things it does then you might consider upgrade.

if we consider damage to mean removal of programs so they'll need reinstalling later, this is almost certain I think.

You should be taking immediate actions to make sure that the decision is made by you not by automatic download behind your back, until you've decided if you want windows 10 remove all windows updates that are not security fixes and set windows updates so they are "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download". Especially remove KB3035583 and updates to the windows update client. Check your C: drive for a folder (likely hidden) called $WINDOWS.~BT, if you don't want windows 10 you'll need to remove this folder.

*things it is widely known to do and does in all cases, not rare bugs and bad luck but actual design features of the OS which people don't like

Edited by rp88, 21 April 2016 - 02:09 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users