Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Odd Hdmi Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

I am having problems connecting my laptop to my monitor through hdmi. I can connect to a different monitor with hdmi where the odd part comes in is I can connect the monitor to another computer through hdmi. 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 April 2016 - 06:17 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'External hardware'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:15 PM

Am I understanding you correctly - your laptop will not connect to, let's call it, Monitor 1 by HDMI, but will connect to Monitor 2. Monitor 1 will connect to another computer and work, also by HDMI ?  Is this all with the same cable or are you using different cables from the two computers ?  Can you also provide the make and model of the laptop and the makes and models of the monitors.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply Chris. Yes you are understanding it correctly. I am using the same cable. Monitor 1 would be my LG Ultrawide (2560x1080). My computer is the 2015 Dell Xps 13 (3200x1800). Computer 2 would be any of the 3 desktops I have hooked up to it all with a graphics card. Monitor 2 would be any other monitor although I think I have only used hd monitors with it. I am thinking it is a problem with the resolution which is the only thing that would make sense but I have changed the resolution on my laptop to the same as my monitor and it still did not work. Also my laptop registers my monitor and says it is displaying on it but my monitor says there is no output to it. 

Edited by TheLeviathan, 19 April 2016 - 08:01 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:57 PM

There isn't all that much left !  Have you looked at the refresh rates ?  Also known as frame rates or frequency. Most computer equipment to drive screens runs at 60 Hz, as do most screens but, particularly European, TV equipment runs at 50 Hz. You will also occasionally find other frame rates being used.

This goes back into history, but when TV was being developed a nice stable and standardised clock was needed. 'I know, let's use the mains frequency !'. In the UK, mains frequency, while allowed to fluctuate within fairly tight limits, is required to be be kept at an average of 50 Hz over a 24 hour period, mainly because of the requirements of electric clocks. In the USA, and much of the rest of the World, mains frequency is 60 Hz.

You should be able to check and adjust if necessary through 'Control panel - Display'.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

That is interesting. I checked my monitor and it is running at 60 Hz and I checked my laptop and it also has an output of 60 Hz. I'm thinking at this point all there is left to do is get a new monitor. Lol 

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

That is a fairly expensive solution. I would try a different cable between the laptop and the problem monitor first.

I am also going to move this topic to the external hardware section, where it properly belongs, since it is visibly a hardware problem.  There may be somebody who haunts that section will have a better or different idea !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users