Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Koobface worm

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 msmgyoung

msmgyoung

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hello! Marilyn Young from Columbia, MO! Semi-retired, just use my laptop for all my personal stuff, bill pay, social media, etc. But, immediately after getting some bill paying done, (I also filed my taxes online this weekend) I got this loud beeping alert and a screen telling me that my cable internet provider and Microsoft had detected "suspicious activity" on my computer, and I called the number, the tech took over control of my computer after having me "run" it. Long story shorter, koobface worm/virus, technician's can restore my network, IP address, etc for $245.50. Didn't have it, won't have it for 2 weeks. They did something to do damage control for 2 or 3 weeks, and will contact me again on 4/29/16. Is this for real? Have I been scammed? How do I know this person from virus eraser.com is a legitimate representative of Microsoft? And mostly, can I remove it myself? I very much appreciate and look forward to all of your great information and HELP!!! Thanks so very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:59 PM

Yes, you have been scammed.  Microsoft does not contact users about any issues on their machine.  I don't think your ISP will do so either.  If you are unsure, give them a call and verify.  Look up the number in the phone book.  Don't ever allow anyone to remotely access your computer.  I hope you didn't give them any money.  If so, cancel the payment immediately!  Also, change all you passwords ASAP!  Notify your bank and tell them what happened in case they try to access your account.  Also, post in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum and request help.  Make sure you follow the preparation guide at the top of the page before posting.

Edited by Agouti, 19 April 2016 - 02:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users