Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think there was some security updates that are now blocking other devices

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bkelly301

bkelly301

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hey how's it going!

I'm kinda stuck here in trying to fix this issue. I don't really know who to ask, so I came across this forum in hopes that someone might know the solution to this problem....

Basically, my computer suddenly stopped allowing external devices to wirelessly connect.

There's 2 main things that I primarily use, which are not working anymore:

1.) I use the program called "synergy" to connect my 2 computers together, such that they can both be controlled by just one single mouse/keyboard. However, synergy is no longer working and I'm getting an error message on the client computer saying "warning: failed to connect to server: timed out".

2.) I use an app on my iPad to record music. I then transfer the recordings wirelessly to my computer through a feature in the app called "wifi sync". This feature simply gives you an ip address: port number to type into the browser on the main computer, and then the files are accessed that way. However, again I'm getting a "took too long to respond" message.

I'm thinking that there may have been some sort of security updates that were automatically installed onto my computer which is now blocking these programs.

Some things to note:

1.) I am able to connect to the internet on all of my devices in my house. Therefore, I know that my router and internet connection are working just fine.

2.) I tried turning off my firewall in McAfee, but that didn't fix the issue. Even with the firewall off, I'm still unable to connect these devices.

Does anyone know what may be the issue here?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bkelly301

bkelly301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:28 PM

Well it turns out it was just a matter of unplugging my router. It's weird because all devices were connecting to the Internet, but not to each other. A simple router reset was all it needed...and I literally was ripping my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was!

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

G'day bkelly301 and Welcome to BC

Thanks for posting the solution....that can be a great help to others experiencing the same problem.

lol...'no connection' problems can be like that....you can get very bald very quickly !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 bkelly301

bkelly301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

Haha no problem!

I always make sure to post the solution anytime I make a question on a forum anywhere. It helps others who may have this same exact problem sometime in the future!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users