Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major problems in Windows/Office (?) is costing me my job. :(

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sugarbat

sugarbat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

Hello, dear brainiacs:

I registered here just so I could see whether any of you could help -- I'm at the end of my rope. I'm assuming at this point that the problem is Windows because I haven't been able definitively to diagnose much of anything else, although I've been trying for weeks.

I'm a subcontractor; I work as a transcriptionist using my own equipment. I just got a new job but as you'll see below, the problems I'm having have kept me from doing it for the past week and a half, and if I can't get them fixed I'll be (legitimately) let go. Unfortunately buying a new machine isn't something I can just run out and do, so that's the ultimate last possible option.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 15 about 2.5 years old. (Can give more system info as needed.) It came with Windows 8 and I upgraded to 8.1 and then 10. The last job I had involved working with proprietary server software that integrated with Word, and I started having problems then. I was using a bootleg version of Office and it wasn't the first time, so I assumed the issues were either related to that and/or the software integration. Basically Word was crashing both with and without the other software running. The crashing was random as far as I could tell; I lost auto-corrects, macros, formatting, text, and other settings, but not every bit of these and not always the same pieces each time. I did every Word fix, I think, that exists on the internet, including deleting/replacing registry keys, turning off addins, deleting & forcing Word to replace the Normal template, etc. Meanwhile I worked around the problem until we lost our biggest client (not because of this) and I was laid off.

Since then, new job. I've had it for only three weeks. When I started, I was running Office 2010. I believed it was a legitimate copy; was sharing the license with a friend -- I installed using ISO. But the problems continued. Event viewer, as before, offered little to help me diagnose. I ran malware/virus scans, adware scans, scannow, updated my BIOS, and finally wiped all versions (some bootleg, some legit, all uninstalled using Windows tools/unused except for recent version 2010) of Office from my machine. I enlisted Microsoft remote-connect help to get the folders, files, and settings I missed. We were on over a period of two days, for hours each time.

When we were done, we installed Office 365 (subscription version). We tried this three times, again over a period of days. Each time the installation stuck at around 95% and the tech support guy seemed to think that was okay. It was not okay. Same problems: Word crashing, multiple (but inconclusive) error messages, loss of work and macros and autocorrects. 

I decided to reinstall Windows. I couldn't do 8 (factory version, although for some reason I've got a bunch of what looks like Windows 7 garbage buried in the system, even after clean install of 10) myself because I'm no longer under warranty and didn't make a backup OS disk. Instead I used https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to make a USB installation. I wiped everything -- completely clean install. It went smoothly with no problems at all from my eyeball perspective (although there's stuff I'm looking at in event viewer now that makes me suspicious).

I downloaded/installed several necessary programs using the Ninite installer (https://ninite.com/): Avast (free), Malwarebytes, Spybot, WinRAR, ImgBurn, Firefox, Chrome, Adaware,Skype, and VLC. Installed Bytescribe and iScriptor from their websites. Updated all virus/malware apps and ran scans, tweaked browser/file settings, etc.

After that I installed Office. There were some hitches because Microsoft accidentally doubled the number of subscriptions I had, and then deleted both of them. So rather than have three charges to my account at the same time (before refunds) I installed the free-month trial version of Office 365 (offered as a popup when I reinstalled Windows 10). 

The only things I did other than the above are 1.) pull profiles and bookmarks for Firefox in from backups I'd made just before the reinstall of W10. I can give details if needed. I chose the automatic importer in Chrome to get all that stuff from Firefox, and 2.) Replaced default custom.dic and MSO1033.acl in Word with my own 15-year-old versions. 

For the first 5 or 6 hours I had no problems. I made a couple of test macros, ran Word both alone and as called up by iScriptor (which seems to save my docs on the remote server as .html files. Don't know if that's relevant at all). I made some auto-corrects (text only and formatted) and they seemed to behave correctly.

Then I crashed. Here is the error message in event viewer:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 16.0.6769.2017, time stamp: 0x570134d0
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10586.122, time stamp: 0x56cc16f5
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000dc7a9
Faulting process id: 0x15bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d199b12e738c51
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: c03743a5-c2f3-49cf-82ba-c7541e3da5d0
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

While I was in event viewer, I saw this error from about an hour and a half before the above:

The description for Event ID 0 from source Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220

I don't know if that's because a default Office process tried to get a license for a free-trial version or it's a legitimate error. It seems to me that if Word depended on the license retrieval it wouldn't have run at all, but it did until it crashed. I lost 5 pages of work and several formatted autocorrects.

I shut down everything and ran another scannow, which came up w/zero problems. Virus scans ditto. There is a new Dell BIOS available for my system (only a few months newer than the one I've got), but I haven't installed it yet -- I wanted to post here first.

I'm stumped about what to do now. There's lots and lots of information, warnings, and errors in event viewer, but I don't know which is related, if any. Too, I realize the problem might be hardware, in which case the computer is scrap. I know this is a possibility. 

If anyone can help me at least figure out what to do next, I would be really, really grateful. Ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. I'm sure I've left important things out of the above narrative, but not on purpose. 

Thanks in advance, everybody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

You could always try downloading LibreOffice which is free and largely compatible with Office.  It will open Doc & Docx files and save them in that format if desired.  It sounds to me like your existing computer could have a hardware problem, but then again I really think upgrading a laptop to 10 is fraught with peril because all the components are proprietary.  I hope you've learned your lesson about the need for backups, you just can't afford not to have them.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 sugarbat

sugarbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

Thank you for your response, Niweg. I have experimented with LibreOffice in the past, but in this scenario I can't use it -- it's not compatible with the software I've got to use for work. I really appreciate your suggestion, though, and if you think of anything else please post and I'll pay close attention. --SB

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

This probably isn't something you want to here but you may want to reinstall Windows 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool. Because the computer came pre-installed with 8 the computer will self activate once online. Then install your software required to use with Office. Your software may not be compatible with Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

#5 sugarbat

sugarbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

Hi John -- I'm considering your advice, but in the meantime this question: Why 8.1 and not the factory-installed 8? Thanks in advance. :) --SB

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:31 PM

Windows 8 is not longer supported. You could do a factory reset but that would take you back to 8 and then you would need to download 8.1 again for the security updates. Using the Media Creation Tool will give you a generic Windows 8.1 install. You may need to download any drivers not included. It will not have OEM Dell specific software.

#7 sugarbat

sugarbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

Okay. Should I check/update my BIOS after 8.1 install? Or before? And thank you again.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:28 PM

You don't need to update your BIOS for installing 8.1. 

#9 sugarbat

sugarbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:24 PM

Yeah, I know it's not necessary/related. But if I did it, it'd be better to do it after, right? 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

It would not make a difference. You would only update a BIOS if there were issues after the clean install and because the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 I don't think your issues are related to your UEFI/BIOS. Flashing a BIOS always has a chance of bricking the computer. The most I would do would be to reset your settings back to default.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users